• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much does GPA matter in MFE admissions

@andy - when you write "we" do you mean UCB?

NO

Whenever I write we, it means Quant Network LLC ("We"), the legal entity that quantnet.com is a part of. We don't represent UCB MFE, Baruch MFE or any program for that matter.

And when I write I, it means my personal opinion.

We have been providing admission consulting service for one of the quant master programs in NYC (not Baruch MFE, think Columbia, NYU, CMU) for the past 2 years with close to 1000 applications being reviewed. That's where the advice coming from.

As for your specific UCB MFE application, I don't know their admission criteria to be more helpful. In general, GPA is something you can do little about once you graduate. Try to focus on other area of your application. When we review applications, we don't look at any specific numbers as a cut off point.

Oh Wow. Never knew that Andy. That is excellent. Makes me value this forum/Site even more.

In general, GPA plays a small part of how we evaluate an applicant profile. Very low GPA is very indicative of one's academic performance. However, high GPA in many case does not translate to a higher probability of admission.

There are many things taken into account when we evaluate GPA. It's one thing having high GPA in a super competitive institution, it's another having a 4.0 from a community college. It's one thing to have high GPA from one of the Ivy schools that are known for grade inflation, it's another to have relatively lower GPA but with other credentials to make up.

Just curious, what Ivy schools are known to have inflated GPA? I live in West Coast, so I don't hear much about the reputation regarding inflated GPA from Ivy League.

A more interesting question would be "which Ivy school is not".
Just for fun reading, refer to a related thread I posted recently Princeton to clam down on grade inflation - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

It's a fact of life in higher education and it's why as gate keepers, we don't take lot of things on face value.

Well, from article, we can only say that Princeton does not inflate their students' GPA. However, we can not conclude anything from the other 7 Ivies.

Hello.

TL;DR :
Very similar to the question at the beginning of the thread. Only difference being I haven't done an MBA. Hence do elaborate on my chances of overcoming a not so great GPA with work experience in a financial services company and CFA level 1.

Background :

I'm a graduate from NIT Trichy in Computer Science, an institute considered for the most part to be on par or slightly below the IITs, nonetheless, a premier institute in India. I have a GPA of 7.47/10 and I am currently working in Fidelity Investments as a software developer (1 year). I am preparing for the level 1 exam of CFA which I'll be taking in December.

Given the background, I have a few basic doubts:

1. How much will my GPA matter to get into the top universities for MFE(Columbia, CMU, GaTech). Will my work experience in a financial services company and CFA clearance help with offsetting the lack of GPA.

2. How different are Financial Engineering, Quantitative Finance, and Computational Finance. A fair estimate of the percentage of computer science exposure that is associated with each of them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Back