• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How people evaluate your retaken courses?

Hello everyone,

I very interest in quantitative finance and I want to apply to a grad school for quantitative finance next year. The issue is I did not focus on the first 2 years so my overall gpa for the first 2 years was only 3 but the last 2 years I will get app 3.7+ overall. So my question is how do recruiters evaluate retaken courses if I re-take some of them to improve my gpa (one of them is linear algebra). I am allowed to re-take 3 courses therefore I will re-take all courses I got C and I will try my best to get at least A- for all of them.

Because in the first 2 years, I didnt focus on studying therefore my linear algebra is C and an A- for calculus 1. However, I got an A for linear algebra 2, multivariable calculus and numerical 1. The same issue for stat, I got A- for stat 1 and B+ for Stat2 but I got all A for 2 probability courses, time series analysis and mathematical statistics. I did not take any programming class but I do programming trading strategies based on technical indicators (C++ and Java) (I can provide my portfolio if required). So my question is: after retaking linear algebra 1 (for sure i will get an a for it), is my profile looks strong in term of technical skills or should I do anything else to improve my chance? By the way, my target schools are: Boston, Baruch, Utoronto, Uwaterloo, Rutger (mathematical finance).

Thank you ;)

I don't think your retaken course will harm you just because you retook it. If you get the overall GPA which will be considered to be satisfactory then not a huge value will be placed on retaken course. As for C++ and Java I really wonder how you can provide your portfolio...having some working experience? If yes then it'll be a good advantage especially for MFE. So if you don't have a working experience with those programming languages then I'd personally search for some certification courses for them. Good Luck

Thanks guy,

As for programming, I did not have work experience. What I do is making an automated trading for retail traders (it does not contain alot of programming complex work thou) based on some available strategies. Anyway i wanna play safe so I guess I should take some programming classes at school.

Once again, thanks guys

Back