• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to invest another year ?

Hi,
I have a Bachelor in Economics and Management and I graduated in July 2019. I have been working in Market Risk for an investment bank for 6 months and I have programming experience mainly through courses ( the C++ one and Coursera ) and at work ( mostly VBA and SQL ). I am currently taking different courses of Linear Algebra, Probability and PDE and I have applied for 5 top US Financial Engineering programs. There are concrete chances that I will NOT be offered admission and so I might take another year and then apply again to enter one of these programs.
My question is, how should I spend this year ? 2 years of working experience away from university does not seem good to me ( considering that risk is not the field I would like to work in post-master ), so I will for sure take other courses about Machine Learning, Advanced C++ etc. There are definitely a lot of stuff I could add to my CV while working for another year. Btw, I wonder if a Part-time master or a Graduate Certificate or a Pre-program like the one by Baruch college or the online one by Berkeley wouldn't be better for my CV. I am located in Budapest but I am willing to move to find something. Do you have any advice for me about how I could invest this year? or do you think that Udacity Machine Learning and Advanced C++ etc would be enough ( academically speaking ) to get admission? I was actually thinking also about quitting my job and take a full-time master of one year in Mathematics, but this might be too extreme. I'm 22 and I have different options and I am open to any advice

Thanks!!

Learning more hard (applied) maths does no harm I would say. And lots of hands-on doing maths.
Advanced C++, is that the Baruch course you are referring to?

Yes, that one. I agree about learning math etc but what I am asking is whether online courses is the smartest way of doing it, instead of some graduate certificate or whatever. Also, if someone has any specific certificate/pre-program to suggest, given also I am located in Europe.

Back