• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to keep abreast of the market and financial knowledge

Dear All

I am a current MFE student in NYC, and I have CFA experience. I went for an interview in a hedge fund, they asked me a lot of CFA questions, and question regarding previous course (undergraduate courses such as probability and stochastic process, economics, options, corporate finance, accounting and so on). I didn't do it well because I forget some I learnt through CFA (no relevant work, so it is hard to remember). I am wondering if there is any tips to keep abreast of that knowledge?

I am trying to keep abreast of the financial market (just started recently), but it was just happening and I can only catch those headlines news. Not sure what you guys did to keep abreast of it. I am aiming for a quantitative strategies position in NYC or fixed income position in Asia Pacific, any advice? I know for equity position you should follow somes stocks (at least), so what's the relevant suggestion for Fixed income, Currency, Commodities?

Thanks

Subscribe to the WSJ/FT/Barrons, read seekingalpha/motleyfool, watch CNBC/Bloomberg TV etc

If you can get your hands on it, Boom Doom and Gloom is a fun read as well.

I second WSJ/FT/Barrons.

In addition I highly recommend The Economist; definitely read it every week. My world knowledge has improved immeasurably since becoming a reader. I recommend getting a subscription so that you get access to the "audio book" version which is recorded every week---a great accompaniment to exercise.

As far as blogs go FT Alphaville is awesome, the writers aren't afraid of technicality. Their coverage of the whole Iksil "London Whale" incident was excellent. I keep ZeroHedge on my RSS list for a bit of humour; although they do highlight some interesting market events that don't seem to be covered elsewhere.

Back