• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to start C++ learning with no prior knowledge of programming?

Jia

As the title stated, how should I start learning C++ with no prior knowledge of programming? By no prior knowledge, I mean I have ZERO understanding of programming. I don't know the terminologies or anything. What should I teach meself first or should I just dive right into the C++ materials since many people say it does not require any prior experience. I want to hear your suggestion. Thanks.

In a word: no.

You need to start with the basics, like variables, function, what is a compiler etc.

I would advise VBA or VB.NET in combination with a book on basic terminology.

The analogy is judo; first learn to breakfall and not hurt yourself before you start engaging others and silly things that are hard to repair.

I sometimes feel that something is lost in lecture notes (often minor things about which a word will be given in class, will be assumed as such and not explicitly mentioned in the notes) , that can be gleaned by watching the lectures. That's why I'd side with watching the lectures. I wish MIT OCW provided lecture videos of more courses, at present most just have lecture notes.

EDIT: I just went through these OCW notes and they look very, very good. Thanks.

Back