• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to start???

hello all,
i am a perspective candidate for the MFE program. however, i don't know how to start. let me talk about my background. i graduated from Baruch College with a major in Finance and Investment. my working experience is not related to Quantitative Finance. during the undergraduate, i didn't take any calculus classes. so what should i do first? i know there are some pre-requisite classes--calculus I II III, C++ and linear algebra. do i need to take those classes (as non-degree) before i hand in the application? i have another question. can i take the GMAT instead of GRE? :sos::prayer: thanks!!

GMAT vs GRE - It depends upon which program(s) you apply to. Some will only accept the GRE or GMAT, while others will accept either one.

Math / Programming Background - At a minimum, you should take Calc I II III, Linear Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations, a calculus-based Probability course, and C++. Once again, the requirements many vary slightly from school to school, but that list should serve as good starting point. You mentioned that you haven't taken any Calc courses, so you should begin with Calculus I. If you have never studied Trigonometry, I would also recommend taking Trig because you will be facing a fair amount of Trig in Calc II and III.

You don't have to be a Math major in order to apply to an MFE. For all intents and purposes, you could be an Art History major and still apply, as long as you meet the pre-reqs.

sanket, i just sent you a private message, could you please let me know if you recieved it? Thanks.

These are very quantitative programs. No math and the GMAT?

First do the math...

If you have never studied Trigonometry, I would also recommend taking Trig because you will be facing a fair amount of Trig in Calc II and III.

A course on trig is a waste of time even if one has never taken trig before: too slow and too much extraneous material as filler. Pick up George Simmons's book, "Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell." which claims to cover all the necessary trig in one hour. It will take more than an hour, and one has to work through some problems, but it can be mastered inside of a week. Any book that defines the trig functions as ratios of sides is a waste of time. Everything should be done in terms of projections of a unit vector as it sweeps around a (unit) circle. And later we define the trig functions as power series. That's what we need.

the best source of review for trigonometry is the first chapter in Princeton's GRE Math Subject book:

In less than 20 pages, its very succint, and yet it offers the most lucid and relevant explanation of all the trig identities and function properties that you need to know, and which will in turn be used in calc I+II.

Plus, it has some handy end of chapter exercises. I worked through this book recently and it was really helpful. I couldn't ask for more.

this book has some typos, make sure you check out the online errata. (just google it)

GMAT vs GRE - It depends upon which program(s) you apply to. Some will only accept the GRE or GMAT, while others will accept either one.

if i want to apply for the MFE program at Baruch, do they accept the GMAT score? thanks!!
Math / Programming Background - At a minimum, you should take Calc I II III, Linear Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations, a calculus-based Probability course, and C++. Once again, the requirements many vary slightly from school to school, but that list should serve as good starting point. You mentioned that you haven't taken any Calc courses, so you should begin with Calculus I. If you have never studied Trigonometry, I would also recommend taking Trig because you will be facing a fair amount of Trig in Calc II and III.

will taking the Calculus I II III make me a strong candidate? are those classes are required? do i have to take the classes or i can just take the department exams? Thanks!!

I believe Baruch accepts both the GRE and GMAT.

As for the Calculus, especially since you're not a Math major, I think you have no choice but the complete the Calc progression. You may be able to get by with departmental exams, but I doubt it. You should contact the MFE dept at Baruch and ask them directly. There is no way you can get into an MFE without a strong math background. Just keep in mind that the courses I listed for you are generally the minimum - most candidates will have gone beyond those courses.

You can find all the specifics about the Baruch MFE program here.

Decision Sciences?

Thanks, everyone. it seems like the strongest candidate would be the one with a very strong math background/programming. i read the Chat content between Prof. stefanica and the perspective students, i believe, with my education background in Finance, they wouldn't consider me. :wall l also look at other program, such as Quantitative Modeling and Decision Sciences, does anybody know anyting about those 2 programs, especially the decision sciences? it looks like those 2 programs have some classes that are the same as the MFE.
any advice will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!:prayer:

The fact that you have a Finance background shouldn't deter you - I also have a Finance/Economics background. I ended up staying in undergrad for an extra year in order to pick up a math minor. If you're really inclined to pursue an MFE and if you've already graduated, you can always enroll at some school as a non-degree student and get up to par.

if i want to apply for the MFE program at Baruch, do they accept the GMAT score? thanks!!
There is no reason for you to not take the GRE. It's pretty much the standard for many MFE program. Only a few programs accept GMAT.
Thanks, everyone. it seems like the strongest candidate would be the one with a very strong math background/programming
Take a look at the 2008 incoming students Entering class of 2008 - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
l also look at other program, such as Quantitative Modeling and Decision Sciences, does anybody know anyting about those 2 programs, especially the decision sciences?
Quantitative Methods and Modeling - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

The programs are from different depts. They have nothing similar like the MFE program at Baruch.
You should also apply to other programs in NYC to hedge your chance. Rutgers, Columbia, NYU, CMU. Take your pick here

Yeesh, and here I am sitting with a 3.23 at Lehigh University in Info Systems Engineering.

In my defense though, I didn't take any "easy A" courses so I could learn as much as possible--only to find out that I'm getting shafted on graduate courses anyway, with a few courses left for my degree so I can't graduate early.

Uck.

Few comments: for the Baruch MFE program, we really do look at all applications, without any cutoff numbers.

The lowest GPA of anyone admitted for Fall 2008 was 2.8.

While the average was 796, the lowest GRE Quant score of anyone admitted for Fall 2008 was 760.

A background in finance is fine for admission, so long as it is complemented with a good math and C++ programming background.

Back