• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I do not think MFE degrees are as valuable anymore.

Can you tell me what is a garbage mfe program?😂 Is it on the quant net ranking list? I am applying to mfe program this year and don't want to waste my time and money~
Zero interviews with any MFE is usually not a flaw in the program. Zero interviews with even just a bachelors doesn't make sense. I know that program and a majority of the cohort got many interviews and very solid job offers.

I posted about this on LinkedIn a few days back. There was someone arguing with me about how valuable continuing education was. The fellow had 15 degrees, most of them masters degrees. Yes, you read that right.

His position? Associate at a no name firm.

ANY program will only take you so far.

Resume: Your responsibility
Interview Skills: Your responsibility
Networking Skills: Your responsibility
Job Consistency: Your responsibility
etc. etc.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what is a garbage mfe program?😂 Is it on the quant net ranking list? I am applying to mfe program this year and don't want to waste my time and money~
I wouldn't listen to that comment. Someone sounds a little upset that they did not perform well in the job search. If you want to pursue a career in quant and aren't interested in other masters/PhD programs then it is a smart choice.

Any program outside the leading seven or eight programs -- CMU, Berkeley, Baruch, Princeton, NYU, etc. Employers tend to be sceptical of these programs and they are not their 'target schools.' Some of these second-tier programs do make an effort and try to 'up their game.' Others are thinly camouflaged cash cows for their departments and universities, and they don't have the resources or inclination to develop strong programs. In a winner-take-all society like the USA, going to a second-tier program essentially dooms you. Employers won't take you seriously. And the odds are you won't have received a quality schooling.
Interesting answer. May I ask a follow-up question - do people generally regard Chicago’s program as one of the top ones?

Interesting answer. May I ask a follow-up question - do people generally regard Chicago’s program as one of the top ones?

It used to be, over a decade back. Then it appears to have stumbled and there were some critical and negative reviews of the program here in Quantnet in years past. If you check Quantnet ratings, it is currently ranked as #12, sandwiched between Georgia Tech and North Carolina State.

Back