• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I dont' want to be a quant, but I choose MFE...am I right?

Hi guys,

I have been admitted by both UChicago Master of science in financial mathematics and Columbia Univerity Master in Operational Research. I am now hesitating which one to go.

I don't want to be a quant or a trader. Instead, I'd like sales/i-banking position or to work in a consulting firm. In order to reach my goal, which one is more appropriate to me?

I feel that major is not a very important factor, compared with the reputation of your school. Thus I select school for their reputation, networks and resources so as to get my favorite job position. Am I wrong with this point?

I am a confused girl who really appreciate your help!

Thank you very much~

Have you considered going for MBA?

Can I just find some jobs in traditional financial industries?

Can I just find some jobs in traditional financial industries?
Not sure what you refer to as "traditional financial industries" since if you keep up with the news lately, the financial industry isn't anywhere close to being "traditional" anymore.
Secondly, you would benefit a bunch from the top free guides from this list https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ma...uants-mfe-financial-engineering-students.535/

The guides will give you some idea bout "traditional" jobs one would expect from an MFE program. Refer to my previous point about the new world.
I'm curious to know what you put on your application's personal statement to gain admission to these programs. From all indications, i would have to agree with other posters in suggesting that you do an MBA.
Whether you have any success in competing with many other unemployed experienced investment bankers for your "favourite job position" is another whole story.
Best of luck.

I can assure you one thing, only a person having 50-60k in bank balance can think about pursuing a 2 nd tier MFE ( read reasonably good content wise ) in 2009.The competetion on a global scale for MFE programs is expected to have decreased.Thus getting in a MFE is easy however getting out seems a different story.

Thank you for all of your help! What I want is not to be a quant. I'd like to start my work in a consulting firm or in IBD division of investment banks or in industries, because I like to communicate with people, instead of doing research and analysis. My dream is to construct my own enterprises in the future, so I think those works I mentioned before give me a chance to know the real business.

According to my thoughts, do you suggest me to study Operational Research in Columbia? It has three divisions. One in Financial Engineering, one in Risk management, and one in Supply Chain Control. Although this major is not very focused than MSFM in Chicago, it is more flexible. Do you suggest me to choose Supply Chain Control as a focus? Because in my view, I think all the businesses need this knowledg. It is likely that I can find my loved and suitable jobs using this diploma. Does Supply Chain Control needed by consulting firms and other industries?

According to my thoughts, do you suggest me to study Operational Research in Columbia? It has three divisions. One in Financial Engineering, one in Risk management, and one in Supply Chain Control. Although this major is not very focused than MSFM in Chicago, it is more flexible. Do you suggest me to choose Supply Chain Control as a focus? Because in my view, I think all the businesses need this knowledg. It is likely that I can find my loved and suitable jobs using this diploma. Does Supply Chain Control needed by consulting firms and other industries?

Did you read the previous posts? The suggestion was very simple, go for an MBA. For what you want, all the things you mentioned are just wasting some time before heading for an MBA.

So, cut the rubbish and try to get into a "good name" MBA program (since that's so important to you). I'm sure you will find plenty of rankings/lists/favorites MBA programs over the internet.

Let me make it easy for you, click on this link http://tinyurl.com/cufkgc

Rather then create a new thread, I have a similar question that piggy-backs off of this (and yes, I just used the term "piggy-back" in a sentence on a forum :P )

I guess, my plan is to get an MFE after I'm done with undergrad. Would an MFE preclude me from trying my hand at Sales/Trading after I get it? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a quant in the long-run, but would like to try my hand at trading first and then move on from there.

Back