• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I LOVE NEW YORK thread

On the eve of 7th anniversary of Sept 11, let dedicate this thread to New York City, the place that most of us have been and will be calling HOME for years to come. It's not a perfect city but one that attracts many young professionals, specially those working on Wall street.

It would be great to hear from many who are new to this city, those are born here and all others.

Let's start with "I love New York because..."

I love New York because of the diversity of people, the multicultural environment, the ocean, the access to world-class arts, the ability to find just about anything I want, the music in the subway and the fact that I can explore the city for a lifetime and not run out of new things to discover. I'm not into serious nightlife or world-class shopping, but it's there if I want it.

The variety of food here is mind blowing.

If you are just starting your professional career, there is no better place to be than New York at that stage of life. New York has America's best public transport system, its best museums and its best restaurants (which, thanks to the competition, are pretty cheap given the quality). You can stand at the Met and City Opera for a pittance. You can buy last-minute tickets to Mets games and BAM for only a little more. In the summer there is free jazz. You can easily survive without a car.

New Yorkers are adaptable, self-reliant and best of all, ultra-competitive.

I love NYC because it's er, um, well, ahem -- give me some time, I'll think of something, Andy.

I love New York because if it wasn't for New York, there would be no New York Yankees. And without the Yankees, of course, there would be no competition for the Red Sox. :D:D:D

New York. Like all true loves, there are moments when you think, "oy!" But that's the sign that you love.

To love New York is to love humanity and life, in all their wonder, joy, peril, trial, and grind.

There is a "famous" quote from an old movie: "If you love him, bring him to New York, 'cause it's Heaven; if you hate him, bring him to New York, 'cause it's hell."
:) If a city can be angel and devil at the same time, it's a magic city. And it's New York City. I would love it when I am still young, so many to experience here, so dramatic to die for, so painful to endure, so blissful to enjoy....

At least, of course, the foods! Can't find a better word here! :) So, simply love New York City!

I love NYC for its diverse population. We have people here from every corner of the earth, with skill sets and interests to match!

Where else can the rich and the poor, the smart and the not so smart, the religious and the atheists, the artists, accountants, engineers, master-of the-universe types, clerks, blue collar, white collar, uniforms, and suits, all work together in a frenzied but harmonious manner, with mostly a "live and let live" attitude?? As long as the "those other" people don't live on my block, we all get along!!!

Recently, talking to a friend, I have discovered for myself "View of the World from 9th Avenue". That is how New Yorker sees the rest of the world. :)

Attachments

• 50326_l.jpg
    50326_l.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 47
Yay, I can see some rocks called Texas, and something call Pacific from 9th ave. Woohoo.
The New Yorker definitely accurately portraits the view of how everyday New Yorker sees the world. Hats off to them.

New York is over hyped in my opinion....I came looking for a 24 hour city but everything was shut by midnight with a few pubs and clubs open...having the neon lights on all night in times square and a 24 hour subway doesnt make it a 24 hour city...

tho i liked the diversity of people and all that pizza and snapple...ppl were also proud where they came from, not just being american, but also their ethnicity. Also comparing to sydney even though its multicultural too, new yorkers seems to mix and hang out more with other nationalities...here (sydney) its more segregated. For instance you can enforce multiculturalism in the work place and at schools/uni...but to go to the movies or a party with another nationality/culture is another story

btw...my avatar is from times square :)

New York is over hyped in my opinion....I came looking for a 24 hour city but everything was shut by midnight with a few pubs and clubs open...having the neon lights on all night in times square and a 24 hour subway doesnt make it a 24 hour city...

It is as close to 24 hours as you can get on average in the year. More specifically, it is about 20 weekday, 22 week-end:)
Times Square is popular for tourists, not so much with regular New Yorkers. If you go on a Monday night at a bar in East Village or Upper West Side or even in other Burroughs, they won't close earlier then 2AM. Week-end is 4AM.
Morning street activity is already high around 6AM.

Hmmm...why I love NYC:

The bustle! There's always something going on, and some commotion. And outside, the energy is amazing!

Albeit, on the inside, the small offices really are a stark contrast to the huge city outside. But oh well, them's the breaks.

Plus, it's got a lot of quants and things always going on ^_^...

Though the one downside is that RenTec isn't in NYC, so the biggest tradeoff for working there (assuming one could get in) is that it isn't NYC.

Plus, some of my best friends are in NYC (the rest are in Philly, and one in Seattle working as an MSFT tester)

You should have brought along a local New Yorker who shows you around. People obviously need to sleep but when some people, part of city sleeps, other people, part of city is full of life. Try that in another big city in the US, let alone other part of the world.
For tourists, Times Square is the facto NYC but there are other places where locals hang out as well.

Where else did you visit in your quest for a 24 hour city, George ;)

You should have brought along a local New Yorker who shows you around. People obviously need to sleep but when some people, part of city sleeps, other people, part of city is full of life. Try that in another big city in the US, let alone other part of the world.
For tourists, Times Square is the facto NYC but there are other places where locals hang out as well.

Where else did you visit in your quest for a 24 hour city, George
yeah I agree New York is probably (is?) the closest city in the world we have to 24 hours but I think there's more work to do.

where did i visit for a 24 hour quest? I went to a couple jazz and comedy clubs, i think one is on 96th st and 78th st and a few around times square. Also in SoHo. bike ride of central park at 4am. hmm I guess its not much since I really didnt know where to look (and wasnt prepared to either), I just assumed once I'm there everything would stay open as if it is the daytime.

I know it sounds ridiculous and I know people need to sleep but I guess I assumed 4 million ppl keep the city running in the day and 4 million at night, lolll..this was my first time anywhere overseas so I really had no idea what to expect. I also assumed shops like Macy's would never close and you would still have thousands and thousands of people roaming the streets at 3am. Thousands of cars beeping their horns too... museums/sports events all still going... All businesses and retail open, with the only things that are closed are office buildings. I know its normal to see a stark contrast between daytime and the night-life in a city but was kinda hoping it was somewhat continuous in New York.

Genuinely thought the economy would be just as strong in the night as it is in the day. hey, maybe its an idea to create more jobs?? lollll .. every job gets replicated at night time regardless if you work in an office building or in cafe/restaurant/retail/hotel etc.. a 24 hour trading floor might also be nice (independent of what other cities/exchanges are open elsewhere in the world), lol..forget the open and close of exchanges :)

Look, this all sounds dumb once I had visited the city but I took the definition of a 24 hour literally, that it really shouldn't of made a difference whether the sun is out or not, everything is accessible in the night just as it is at any time of the day .

At the end of the day (no pun intended), I still found it a very cool city though and am definitley coming back mid next yr hopefully to start working as a quant once I've finished my masters, but we'll see how we go, dont want to plan too far ahead.

yeh getting drunk or gambling seems about the only thing to do...not a normal life is it?

Back