• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I risked it all...(pray for me)

Ok so I couldn't afford to pay application fee for too many programs, and also couldn't nudge professors too many times for LoRs, so I went on with shortlisting universities until I had only 3 left on my list. I applied to Princeton, MIT and Oxford only. and I feel like I have blundered by not applying to safer schools (where I would have most certainly secured an admit). Anyone else with similar experience?

Just out of curiosity, if you cannot afford to pay application fee for the programs, how do you expect to pay for the tuition and the cost of living?

Just out of curiosity, if you cannot afford to pay application fee for the programs, how do you expect to pay for the tuition and the cost of living?
I am also in this category, and so are many others. We hope to get loans, scholarships or some other means to fund our education overseas. Thing is, he should have applied to some moderate and safe schools as well. LOR is also a thing too. Candidates who write LORs themselves can submit applications to as many schools as possible but it's difficult to ask a professor to submit LOR to say 8 schools. Except if you are hoping they'd send something generic.

@demoralizer you can still apply to some schools...I'd encouraged you apply to one or two more schools, perhaps NYU, NCSU or Chicago. Chicago and NYU can waive the application fee if you send them a mail or attend any of the info sessions. Check when the round 2 deadline is and try to apply.

For the LOR, you have to summon courage and ask them for help. It's better you secure an admit this year in a school of your choice than to come back next year asking them for the same thing. Paying them a visit to explain your situation (if you can) might also help.

Best.

The new MFin program of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business has a Round 2 deadline of March 29. They have waived the application fee for all applicants this year. NYU Courant's deadline is Feb 8.

Hi demoralizer, mind sharing your profile with us?

You must have been fairly confident about your profile to confine yourself to 3 schools with single digit admission rates last year.

To be frank, I am feeling quite anxious now as well even though I applied to 8 schools. People here are starting to receive interview calls but not me. I am also wondering whether I should've include some safety options in my list .... but it's too late to second guess myself now.

Anyway, good luck to you (and me)!

Loans, scholarships and assistantships. I can afford to pay application fees, but it certainly adds friction and puts a dent on my family's finances. Btw, the bigger constraint here is nudging for recommendation letters.

I am also in this category, and so are many others. We hope to get loans, scholarships or some other means to fund our education overseas. Thing is, he should have applied to some moderate and safe schools as well. LOR is also a thing too. Candidates who write LORs themselves can submit applications to as many schools as possible but it's difficult to ask a professor to submit LOR to say 8 schools. Except if you are hoping they'd send something generic.

@demoralizer you can still apply to some schools...I'd encouraged you apply to one or two more schools, perhaps NYU, NCSU or Chicago. Chicago and NYU can waive the application fee if you send them a mail or attend any of the info sessions. Check when the round 2 deadline is and try to apply.

For the LOR, you have to summon courage and ask them for help. It's better you secure an admit this year in a school of your choice than to come back next year asking them for the same thing. Paying them a visit to explain your situation (if you can) might also help.

Best.
Makes sense, but another major reason I didn't apply to moderate to safe schools is because I'll be taking up student debt to finance my education and to pay that back I need to make sure I go to a school where I don't have to worry too much about employment. Being an international student, the fees combined with cost of living is even higher for me and I need to ensure that the return on investment is certain. Also, I am a fresh graduate and I have a decent paying job offer at hand in my home country, the only problem is that it is not a finance role (APM). If I don't make it this time, I'll probably delete my QN account and never think about this route again.

The new MFin program of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business has a Round 2 deadline of March 29. They have waived the application fee for all applicants this year. NYU Courant's deadline is Feb 8.
Thanks for the information, although I don't think I will apply to anymore programs for reasons I stated in my reply to @joe_boy

Hi demoralizer, mind sharing your profile with us?

You must have been fairly confident about your profile to confine yourself to 3 schools with single digit admission rates last year.

To be frank, I am feeling quite anxious now as well even though I applied to 8 schools. People here are starting to receive interview calls but not me. I am also wondering whether I should've include some safety options in my list .... but it's too late to second guess myself now.

Anyway, good luck to you (and me)!
There are certainly many good programs that have further rounds coming up, so you can always apply to them. Also, there is an analysis that you can do for yourself that might help you here. Let's call University A (a top ranked program) and University B (a safety school). Now would you prefer to go to B now or to A 1 year later, you can do a detailed mathematical analysis with numbers about opportunity costs and difference in long term of value from both the school and then decide.

About my profile, top 3 IIT (non-circuital branch), fintech internship, GRE: 329, Q170, GPA: ~8.75/10 (think that turn out to 4.0/4.0 in US system, didn't get WES evaluation though).

This is a great point. The program was brought to market relatively late too so will likely have a low application rate. It is also the inaugural year so some may be put off by lack of reputation and alumni.

I understand that you are concerned about nudging LOR, however the only way to guarantee rejection is by not applying! With no application fee - truly the worst that happens is your professors don’t fill out the LOR and your application is never complete. Your only loss will be the short amount of time you spent filling in the application. Chicago Booth is comparable to those you’ve applied to but this program will have more favourable odds for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!

Makes sense, but another major reason I didn't apply to moderate to safe schools is because I'll be taking up student debt to finance my education and to pay that back I need to make sure I go to a school where I don't have to worry too much about employment. Being an international student, the fees combined with cost of living is even higher for me and I need to ensure that the return on investment is certain. Also, I am a fresh graduate and I have a decent paying job offer at hand in my home country, the only problem is that it is not a finance role (APM). If I don't make it this time, I'll probably delete my QN account and never think about this route again.
Schools like Chicago or NYU are not even safety schools per se. Chicago, especially, is a top school. If you are confident of your performance during interviews, then you will have a good chance of getting a job right after school.

Good luck with any decision you make.

This is a great point. The program was brought to market relatively late too so will likely have a low application rate. It is also the inaugural year so some may be put off by lack of reputation and alumni.

I understand that you are concerned about nudging LOR, however the only way to guarantee rejection is by not applying! With no application fee - truly the worst that happens is your professors don’t fill out the LOR and your application is never complete. Your only loss will be the short amount of time you spent filling in the application. Chicago Booth is comparable to those you’ve applied to but this program will have more favourable odds for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!
"some will be put off by lack of reputation and alumni". Yes, I guess I am one of those, even though Chicago Booth in itself is a great school for MBA, but that does not guarantee a good outcome for MFin, in fact I feel that they maybe just trying to capitalize on their brand name amongst MBA candidates and the surge in demand of MFin programs.
Also to be honest, my philosophy for setting goals has always been less based on the odds of making it but rather more on if the pursuing the goal is worthwhile and the absolute merit of the idea. Applying to a school just because it has higher acceptance is not a good idea in my opinion.

Schools like Chicago or NYU are not even safety schools per se. Chicago, especially, is a top school. If you are confident of your performance during interviews, then you will have a good chance of getting a job right after school.

Good luck with any decision you make.
Obviously, the categorization of safe and ambitious school is based on people's own estimation of their chances of making it. But the decision to apply to only top few schools was a result of my lack of risk appetite at this point of time and other options that I have if I don't pursue a Masters.

There are certainly many good programs that have further rounds coming up, so you can always apply to them. Also, there is an analysis that you can do for yourself that might help you here. Let's call University A (a top ranked program) and University B (a safety school). Now would you prefer to go to B now or to A 1 year later, you can do a detailed mathematical analysis with numbers about opportunity costs and difference in long term of value from both the school and then decide.

About my profile, top 3 IIT (non-circuital branch), fintech internship, GRE: 329, Q170, GPA: ~8.75/10 (think that turn out to 4.0/4.0 in US system, didn't get WES evaluation though).
icic no wonder you are aiming for the most challenging. but honestly speaking, what you see as safety schools are probably my top choices. in any case, hope neither of us will be disappointed!

icic no wonder you are aiming for the most challenging. but honestly speaking, what you see as safety schools are probably my top choices. in any case, hope neither of us will be disappointed!
I'll pray that both of us get what we want the most.
Cartoon Love GIF by Abitan

Best.
You can also ask multiple professors if you don't feel good asking the same batch for that many letters. However, if we're being real, I think generally the first letter will be the hardest to write anyway, all the others will more or less be the same. So if they agree to submit one, they can likely submit up to maybe 10. The application payment is a completely different issue.
Schools like NCSU are probably a good choice as they'll be cheaper for internationals, and the average salary after graduation are still good. If anything, return on investment might be more certain from schools like these; you won't go into debt that is nearly as crushing.

Really? I have the same CGPA and from one of the top 6 IITs (CS).
How did you come up with this? Any source?
Normally speaking, I think an 85% is the threshold for a 4.0 in the US. I am assuming the Indian GPA of 8.75/10 means an average of 87.5% across all coursework?

Well the way the grades are aggregated are of course different, but I think he's making a ball-park estimate that 87.5% > 85%? But mind you, because of the way the GPA is calculated in the US, a student could have an overall average of over 90% but a GPA of just 3.85/4.00.

Back