• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I risked it all...(pray for me)

Really? I have the same CGPA and from one of the top 6 IITs (CS).
How did you come up with this? Any source?
Normally speaking, I think an 85% is the threshold for a 4.0 in the US. I am assuming the Indian GPA of 8.75/10 means an average of 87.5% across all coursework?

Well the way the grades are aggregated are of course different, but I think he's making a ball-park estimate that 87.5% > 85%? But mind you, because of the way the GPA is calculated in the US, a student could have an overall average of over 90% but a GPA of just 3.85/4.00.
I'm at a US school mainly, and I'm studying abroad all of this year (my junior year). I'd say the conversion rate for the school I'm at back to my home uni is (in maths courses anyway) 14/20 -> 4.0/4.0 || 12/20-> ~3.5/4.0 || 10/20 -> ~3/4 or lower. My home uni is kinda poor for math and stats though, so for a better uni the comparison would be higher.

@bootstrap, I can tell you that the grading system isn't linear at high ranked uni's outside the US. It doesn't translate at 8/10 -> 80/100. The difficulty increases drastically to climb the last few points on their scales.

I'm at a US school mainly, and I'm studying abroad all of this year (my junior year). I'd say the conversion rate for the school I'm at back to my home uni is (in maths courses anyway) 14/20 -> 4.0/4.0 || 12/20-> ~3.5/4.0 || 10/20 -> ~3/4 or lower. My home uni is kinda poor for math and stats though, so for a better uni the comparison would be higher.

@bootstrap, I can tell you that the grading system isn't linear at high ranked uni's outside the US. It doesn't translate at 8/10 -> 80/100. The difficulty increases drastically to climb the last few points on their scales.
I see, thanks! I made some erroneous assumptions, my bad.

I'll pray that both of us get what we want the most.
Cartoon Love GIF by Abitan
Just curious, any update on your end? I am seeing people on the forum getting offers left and right, starting to enter into a state of self-doubt lol.

Just curious, any update on your end? I am seeing people on the forum getting offers left and right, starting to enter into a state of self-doubt lol
Not sure of the exact programs you are waiting on but there's a good amount of programs that, as far as I know, haven't started handing out offers or rejections at all. One I'm still waiting on the JHU, also waiting on ETH/UZH which will start the process in March. Very few programs have actually done all their admissions that I know of, so you still have time. Generally speaking, grad school acceptances tend to happen around March-April.

Not sure of the exact programs you are waiting on but there's a good amount of programs that, as far as I know, haven't started handing out offers or rejections at all. One I'm still waiting on the JHU, also waiting on ETH/UZH which will start the process in March. Very few programs have actually done all their admissions that I know of, so you still have time. Generally speaking, grad school acceptances tend to happen around March-April.
I applied to Chicago, Columbia, UCLA. People on this forum seem to be getting offers from these schools left and right.....

I also applied to a few other schools, so let's see....

I applied to Chicago, Columbia, UCLA. People on this forum seem to be getting offers from these schools left and right.....

I also applied to a few other schools, so let's see....
It's not over until the fat lady sings. It's better to get in the right program than a program that is not right.
You see people getting offers left and right because QuantNet attracts the top applicants who does a lot of research before applying. And there is no better place than QuantNet to research these MFE programs. You can't just blindly apply to any MFE program and not come across QuantNet in your due diligence.

It's not over until the fat lady sings. It's better to get in the right program than a program that is not right.
You see people getting offers left and right because QuantNet attracts the top applicants who does a lot of research before applying. And there is no better place than QuantNet to research these MFE programs. You can't just blindly apply to any MFE program and not come across QuantNet in your due diligence.
Thanks a lot for maintaining this great resource for us prospective students Andy! I guess I will just need to focus on things I can control at this moment.

Just curious, any update on your end? I am seeing people on the forum getting offers left and right, starting to enter into a state of self-doubt lol.
Didn't get interview invite for Princeton, MIT - got interview done and Oxford no update yet.

Back