• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Implementing a basic mean reversion & intraday returns

Hello,

I'm a newbie and I'm currently trying implement a basic algorithmic trading strategy using historical returns data for a range of equities and indexes. However, when I was reading Ernie Chan's 'Quantitative Trading' he states that

"Unfortunately, we cannot trade on the mean reversion of returns. "

I'm not exactly sure why this is. Is it because the returns do not necessarily randomly distribute around a mean of zero? If I only have historical returns data, does this mean I'm confined to a momentum-based strategy?

Apologies if this seems basic, however I'm new to this field and while I would feel more comfortable implementing a mean reversion type algorithm, I just want to understand why this is apparently not possible with the data I have.

Hello,

I'm a newbie and I'm currently trying implement a basic algorithmic trading strategy using historical returns data for a range of equities and indexes. However, when I was reading Ernie Chan's 'Quantitative Trading' he states that

"Unfortunately, we cannot trade on the mean reversion of returns. "

I'm not exactly sure why this is. Is it because the returns do not necessarily randomly distribute around a mean of zero? If I only have historical returns data, does this mean I'm confined to a momentum-based strategy?

Apologies if this seems basic, however I'm new to this field and while I would feel more comfortable implementing a mean reversion type algorithm, I just want to understand why this is apparently not possible with the data I have.

No. you can't trade on mean reversion on returns. You buy/sell the asset under question. The returns are generally stationary. (Which implies they mean revert) Check that using Phillips-Perron test.

Now, to check if the means of the returns are 0, you would have to run a t-test to check if mu = 0.

Now based on the mean reversion, run a regression of returns that mean revert against the returns of indices as factor. Check that residuals are stationary and uncorrelated by using a box-ljung test.

What if your indices are correlated among each other? You could standardize the explanatory variables, or run a ridge regression instead since If the indices are infact correlated, (X^t X)^-1 might not exist.

You could perhaps then create a trading strategy based on the signals of the residuals.

Is this a pairs trading beta neutral strategy you are trying to implement?

I'm not sure if I answered your question correctly as I haven't read that book yet. But I assume that's what he meant by saying you can't trade on mean reversion on returns.

I liked Rajan's answer. I've been a learner in this, and it will probably take a while for me to gain a grasp on MRS. I'm going through the MRS course by Quantra that has really helped me.

Here's hoping for more answers here!

I wondering if he is stating that returns are a random/Markov process, and thus there is no information to be gained from previous time frames? But that's quite the assumption in my opinion.

Back