• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

India's educational system

I think his comments are too immature for the forum and so is he.

@bansalmohit, please don't waste your precious time on bigbadwolf. I am regretting that already :(..I am assuming that you are from India and considering that he is from Pakistan (who has also lived in India, I don't know how..I think India does not usually allow people from Pakistan to live there and vice-versa, considering the history), that explains a lot of his anti-India/Indian posts disguised as informative discussions.

Cheers, mate. I'm an Indian myself. Amazing how many Indians insist on living in a state of denial and sticking their head in the sand. They should ask themselves how a tiny country like Israel, with 7m people, produces more Nobel Prize winners than India, with 1000m.
Don't waste your time on this specific example, as compared with Israel's per-capita success almost every country in the world seems like a third-world country.

I think India does not usually allow people from Pakistan to live there and vice-versa, considering the history), that explains a lot of his anti-India/Indian posts disguised as informative discussions.

You're merely revealing your ignorance in area after area. I suggest you read something about the history of the place before you post on it, just as I suggest you read something about quant finance before you solemnly pontificate about what constitutes a quant program.

@bansalmohit, please don't waste your precious time on bigbadwolf. I am regretting that already :(..I am assuming that you are from India and considering that he is from Pakistan (who has also lived in India, I don't know how...
WOW... talking about racially charge comment. You flat out don't like Pakistan. You are assuming that since the BBW posted something that reflects poorly on the educational system from India, he has to be from Pakistan.

I'm amazed of how defensive you guys are. If you disagree with the BBW, just write something coherent and post links that argue against his points. I'm sure there have to be plenty of articles and web pages that rave about the educational system in India. Trying to ban him and rail against him personally, just show poor judgment and overall, insecurity. Basically, you are, indirectly supporting his point.

BTW, I happen to know a lot of people from India. Everybody that went to an IIT is very very bright (that's more than 50% of the people I know form India). The rest are far from it... by a wide margin in terms of education. My sample is very small so I don't like to draw conclusions but you guys are not helping.

Pakistan is in much worse shape than India: it has nothing comparable to the IITs and IIMs. Nor anything comparable to JNU, which is a hub for social science research.

I've just been talking to an Indian academic friend of mine, who tells me the UGC has revised pay scales for profs, so the salaries are better -- though of course still low by Western standards. He also tells me that there's more money now for libraries. So perhaps the situation will slowly improve over the years and decades. At the moment there's tremendous variability in the quality of graduates.

On a side note, one other advantage Indians have over Pakistanis is that India had Western publishers (McGraw-Hill, Prentice-Hall, Wiley, Springer) publish locally at local prices. So Western books are available at (relatively) affordable prices. Pakistan doesn't even have this, though books smuggled from India make their way across the border.

Paucity of books and having recourse only to locally written books means students are never comfortable with reading, rely on rote memorisation (which is encouraged anyway). Often (Pakistani) grad students don't even know what an idex is because the local books don't have them.

It's hard to see how anyone even remotely familiar with India can disagree with the content of the WSJ article. You might have an issue with its tone and perhaps even bigbadwolf's portrayal of it, which might hint slightly at schadenfreude, but there is clearly no distortion of facts. Other than the IITs and a handful of other institutions, there is very little evidence that the foundations of the Indian educational system, especially at the undergraduate and graduate level, are strong.

I personally feel that the title of this thread is a little too general and perhaps a misleading due to that. It needs to be said that the curriculum and standard of teaching in India is a lot better up to the 12th standard (not quite sure what that translates to in the American system, but a student is typically around 17 years old during 12th standard), especially in private schools that follow the ICSE or CBSE boards and I would say easily on par with the top educational systems in the world. After the 12th standard, as has be pointed out above ad nauseum, it is a different story.

I see no problem with this post nor with BBW as a person. You people are seriously to emotional. There's nothing immature with this thread nor the WSJ article.

You're merely revealing your ignorance in area after area. I suggest you read something about the history of the place before you post on it, just as I suggest you read something about quant finance before you solemnly pontificate about what constitutes a quant program.

I am only reacting to your dumb posts. I am not pontificating on quant finance, merely pointing out that you are a person with some serious issues.

And what qualifications / background in quant finance do you have ?

WOW... talking about racially charge comment. You flat out don't like Pakistan. You are assuming that since the BBW posted something that reflects poorly on the educational system from India, he has to be from Pakistan.

I'm amazed of how defensive you guys are. If you disagree with the BBW, just write something coherent and post links that argue against his points. I'm sure there have to be plenty of articles and web pages that rave about the educational system in India. Trying to ban him and rail against him personally, just show poor judgment and overall, insecurity. Basically, you are, indirectly supporting his point.

BTW, I happen to know a lot of people from India. Everybody that went to an IIT is very very bright (that's more than 50% of the people I know form India). The rest are far from it... by a wide margin in terms of education. My sample is very small so I don't like to draw conclusions but you guys are not helping.

@alain, Read my post carefully. I didn't say anything bad about Pakistan, but merely stated the fact that its not common for a person to have lived in both countries. India's education system has flaws. No one is denying that but bad mouthing something we cannot do anything about, serves no purpose.

You yourself are showing your ignorance and bias about non-IIT students by saying "The rest are far from it". Since your sample size is small, you should not even mention this. I can also easily claim that only MFE students from Princeton/Stanford/Columbia are smart. But we all know that is not the case.

@alain, Read my post carefully. I didn't say anything bad about Pakistan, but merely stated the fact that its not common for a person to to have lived in both countries. India's education system has flaws. No one is denying that but bad mouthing something we cannot do anything about, serves no purpose.

You yourself are showing your ignorance and bias about non-IIT students by saying "The rest are far from it". Since your sample size is small, you should not even mention this. I can also easily claim that only MFE students from Princeton/Stanford/Columbia are smart. But we all know that is not the case.

@mcgraber: define "bad mouthing"? So since when we can only discuss things that we can do something about? If a football team played badly, then I have all of my right to criticize them, do I?

@mcgraber: define "bad mouthing"?

let me help you with the most basic google search

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/badmouthing

So since when we can only discuss things that we can do something about? If a football team played badly, then I have all of my right to criticize them, do I?

yes you do, but only when you have adequate knowledge about the game and the team, not just by reading few biased and partial truth articles about it somewhere

Even most IIT grads fall in the category described above in the article.... Curriculum of engineering(Including IIT) in India is such that you don't need to study at all....Just mug up a day before your exams and you are done..... And obviously since you studied for passing the exam you won't remember a word few days after...Curriculum is so awesome that if you are a Computer Science student , they will teach you fluid mechanics.... Instrumentation and control.... everything apart from Comp science basically... Old professors teaching very basic facts wrong( as was pointed out in sinx/x example) ... and if you are a smart( read very foolish) guy to point their mistakes in class , you are definite to fail that paper....Guys , if Indian education system was so great why most of you go to US to pursue your masters and Phd...IIT's have masters courses come and study here and then take offence to the article....To sum it up , my personal opinion is that most of the facts in the article and those presented by Bigbadwolf are sadly very very true indeed. And since when has debating a fact become part of racism...It's your own insecurity inside that makes you feel that it was a racist comment... Grow up....

@alain, Read my post carefully. I didn't say anything bad about Pakistan, but merely stated the fact that its not common for a person to to have lived in both countries. India's education system has flaws. No one is denying that but bad mouthing something we cannot do anything about, serves no purpose.

McGruber, we're talking in detail about the Indian educational system. Post after post of yours is attacking me personally. Your posts are polluting this thread. You know nothing about the Indian system. You are posting horseshit here. If you have some animosity towards me, find some other venue for it. Personally I think it's too late for rabies shots.

Even most IIT grads fall in the category described above in the article.... Curriculum of engineering(Including IIT) in India is such that you don't need to study at all....Just mug up a day before your exams and you are done..... And obviously since you studied for passing the exam you won't remember a word few days after...Curriculum is so awesome that if you are a Computer Science student , they will teach you fluid mechanics.... Instrumentation and control.... everything apart from Comp science basically... Old professors teaching very basic facts wrong( as was pointed out in sinx/x example) ... and if you are a smart( read very foolish) guy to point their mistakes in class , you are definite to fail that paper.....

wow !!..those are some amazing facts about IITs.. thank you for showing us the truth.

...Guys , if Indian education system was so great why most of you go to US to pursue your masters and Phd...IIT's have masters courses come and study here and then take offence to the article....To sum it up , my personal opinion is that most of the facts in the article and those presented by Bigbadwolf are sadly very very true indeed. And since when has debating a fact become part of racism...It's your own insecurity inside that makes you feel that it was a racist comment... Grow up....

@darth, by your logic same holds true for the Chinese education system since so many students from China's top schools want to come to US and even students from Europe are doing this in increasing numbers.... gimme me a break

wow !!..those are some amazing facts about IITs.. thank you for showing us the truth.

@darth, by your logic same holds true for the Chinese education system since so many students from China's top schools want to come to US and even students from Europe are doing this in increasing numbers.... gimme me a break

let me give you more such facts since it appears you like these facts .... Many IIT students can't write a C program to add two integers....

Regarding your other concern..... This fact just shows that US schools are better than schools in those countries...But the point here is not why United States has better schools.... It's about the education system in India....Everyone and his grandmother is an engineer these days in India.... Just shell out the money ( like writing your fon number on answer sheet) and you are a B.E.... some colleges don't put you even in that much trouble... They have 60% internal marks ....so that no one ever fails there...They charge you high fees so that you can attend them and pass out with 80% marks without even touching your books for four years...If we can create a university to pass through immigration laws (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/tri-valley-university-agencies-or-students-to-blame-83181) in US...We sure can create universities in India to grant B.E degrees and rake in moolah.

Back