• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

International student seeking advice

Hey..im currently a student in actuarial science in Montreal...i want to follow this with a masters of finance or financial engineering in the USA in a top school...I have always wanted to be a trader and getting into the business is really difficult coming from Montreal and basically Canada because our schools here do not have the same brandname quality as american schools...that being does anyone have any recommendation on how to go on with my objective??? any tips would be helpful..

I have pretty good knowledge of statistics, probability and I am on track to complete 4 of the exams of the society of actuaries by the end of my undergraduate degree and they cover probability, financial mathematics and derivatives....I also am an avid financial market follower (more like student)...i have been trading my personal money (not much) on the side for a year

Let's get some realistic expectation: you are not likely to become a trader right after MFE degree. It will take the right personality, talent, place, time for it to happen.
If you are a skilled trader, your personal trading will speak for itself. No program will teach you to be a trader.

Now, what are skills that you can say you are the best at or better than your peers?

I have always wanted to be a trader

I also am an avid financial market follower (more like student)...i have been trading my personal money (not much) on the side for a year

You have always wanted to be a trader? lol How is that possible? Is this like a new generation thing? ... "I want to be a fireman!" ... "I want to be a doctor!"..."I want to be a trader..."

Why do you want to be a trader?

You have always wanted to be a trader? lol How is that possible? Is this like a new generation thing? ... "I want to be a fireman!" ... "I want to be a doctor!"..."I want to be a trader..."

Why do you want to be a trader?

HAHA

well lol yeah that does sound a like a little cliche but here is the whole story...ive always had a great interest in politics and through the year i came across the name george soros on multiple occasions...i looked him up and read a speech by him explaining the theory of reflexivity and how he applies it in the financial markets...that got me to realise that there is a field that exists where you can have a theory about how you view the world and if you are right you will be financially compensated..what is better than that?!?!? going deeper in my lectures i read on multiple other investors and strategies and viewpoints and really since then i have been hooked...(brief resume of why but you get the point)

this forum is not helpful at all....i didnt ask if i had the right motivations to be a trader....i can trade but its no use doing so with the little capital i have for a long time...good for now but later on it wont suffice...that being said i was simply looking for which school name would best help put me in a position to do something and enter the field...i know for sure a baruch name wont do it...and please dont say no i never heard of a trader at goldman that went to baruch or any other top firms or hedge fund..baruch is simply getting your money and giving you a worthless diploma...

this forum is not helpful at all....i didnt ask if i had the right motivations to be a trader....i can trade but its no use doing so with the little capital i have for a long time...good for now but later on it wont suffice...that being said i was simply looking for which school name would best help put me in a position to do something and enter the field...i know for sure a baruch name wont do it...and please dont say no i never heard of a trader at goldman that went to baruch or any other top firms or hedge fund..baruch is simply getting your money and giving you a worthless diploma...
You are getting angry for no reason. You can go to other forums and have people there tell you to go to X, Y, Z. You expect people to spoon feed you with a list of names without doing due diligence work yourself. My members refuse to do that for good reasons. If anyone here does that, it will be pretty immature and ill-advised on the part of that person. Nobody has access to relevant data to make that call.

You can go to website of the top programs and see if they list where their graduates end up and make some comparison and decision for yourself.

What are your reasons for single out Baruch? I checked and don't think anyone here suggested that you go to Baruch or any program?

If you want to become a trader at Goldman Sachs, contact the traders there through LinkedIn and see which school they went to and ask their advices. MFE first and foremost is for "quant" positions.

Back