• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

International Students: Loans

Hello everyone,

Any international students taking loans out? Let me know what options you have found. Anyone find loans without cosigner necessarily required?

Thanks,
Marc.

Hi Marc..
Welcome to Baruch Quantnet community. I am from India. I have taken loan from an indian bank to pay my fees and stuff. May be you can try the funding from a local bank in your country. I am sure they all have education loans. I know one global bank HSBC which provides education loan. I have not tried to get loans from american banks here.

Lemme know if you have any specific questions.
Cheers
Aeron

but if you take loan before you get visa, does loan hamper the VISA?

but if you take loan before you get visa, does loan hamper the VISA?

I would not think so, as the idea is to be able to show that you can financially support yourself and your study during the stay

halen said:
Yeah, I need help in getting some student loans so I can get back in school. However I have been told that I do not qualify for a federal student loan because my parents make way too much money. Problem is I'm the one paying for my education and I have no way to afford it myself, though my parents did agree to co-sign a loan for me. So please help me. Thanks a lot.

What kind of help do you want? It doesn't seem clear from your post.

LOANS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

Without co-signer:
Source: Baruch International Student service website Page Not Found - Baruch Student Affairs

As of May 2008, Access Group no longer offers loans to non-citizens/PRs, with or without a co-signer.
(I know that at least Haas has yet to update their information sheet to reflect this.)

Sallie Mae actually does offer loans without a co-signer (up to full cost of tuition only), but you must have an established US credit history.

safrina said:
[FONT=&quot]Ok, I am negotiating with a collection agency on a 7 year old $3,000 student loan. They will accept a lump sum payment and want me to suggest a pay off amount and they will counter offer. I would like to know what the lowest amount a collection agency would likely accept. What is the lowest lump sum payment a collection agency will accept on the student loan?[/FONT]

Dunno. A loan that old, how much could the agency have paid for it? 11-16 cents on the dollar? Less? (I'm assuming the agency bought the debt). So try offering $500 maybe.

Back