• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interviewing Hell for Quant Roles

I have been interviewing for Quant Researcher/Analyst Roles for about a year now. And it has been devastating for me. I am here to share my experience and seek guidance for future.

Company 0 Morningstar
Resume shortlisting- 1 month
Rejected in technical. I hadn't prepared well therefore company 0.

Company 1 Nomura.
Resume shortlisting- 2 week
Take home Assignment- 1 week
Interview with ED - 1 week
Interview with Trader scheduled. Postponed 5mins before call. Never heard back again.

Company 2 JPMC
Resume shortlisting- 1 month
Technical Interview + VP Round- 1 week
Rejected. Had to chase HR for 10 days to know I was rejected.

Company 3 Barclays.
Resume shortlisting- 1week
Online Assignment- 1 week
Interview with VP- during interview they told me they wanted a developer. someone skilled in web scrapping and node.js skills. the JD said Quant Analyst and mentioned nothing about web scrapping. Rejected

Company 4 Some Private Asset Management firm
Resume shortlisting- 1 week
Round with Quant Analyst - 1 week, result next day
Round with SVP- next week, results came after 3weeks
Round with PM - 1month
After 1 goddamn month I got 1hr slot with PM for the final round. It didn't even last 10mins. All they said was my team must have thoroughly interviewed you nothing much to ask now. Ghosted. I found out they didn't hire anyone.

Company 5 Credit Ratings Company
Resume shortlist- 3days
Round with Analyst- 1week
Round with Director- 1week
Coding Round - 1 week
Final Round with Researchers+Directors- 1 week
Selected, but in the last round I found out this is more of a data analysis/visualization kinda support role for a client. So I didn't take it

Company 6 Morgan Stanley
Resume shortlisting- 2 weeks
Take home Assignment - 4 days
Round with Director- 1 week
Interview went well. 1month later I got to know they are changing requirements of the role. now looking to hire experienced folks. HR forwarded my resume for another role but then that turned out to be a developer role (this also I found out during the interview)

Company 7 Some exchange firm
Resume shortlist - 3days
Online Assessment- 1week
Round with Researcher - 1 week.
Round with Head of Trading- 2 weeks.
I fumbled, rejected.

Company 8 Relatively small trading desk
Resume shortlist - 1 week
3 rounds with Director - 3 weeks.
Selected, but low pay.

Company 9 Another relatively small trading desk
Resume shortlist- 1 week
Take home Assignment- 1 week
Round with Analyst - 1 week
Final round with partner- 1month
Final round went well, answered all questions. At the end I was told that there are no more rounds. If selected they will schedule call to discuss the offer. 2 weeks later I got the invite. Happy! but wait... that guy started interviewing me. Imagine going into a meet thinking you have been selected and now its time to discuss salary! But instead they throw at you puzzles and probability problems. I lost my shit and couldn't answer a thing. So I don't expect to hear back. Turns out the interview coordinator fumbled. The partner wanted to have a round. The coordinator scheduled the meet but forgot to mention its an interview. Even the meet was titled 'Final Discussion' not 'interview' like other invites.

My mental health is in shambles after the last incident. I cannot continue like this anymore. I am considering US Masters. But given my profile vs accepted profiles, I feel I have very low chances getting into Quant Finance program. It will be easier for me to get into Data Science / ML programs

Quick Brief about me-
Data Scientist with 2 YoE at MarketingTech consulting firm
1 research internship that resulted in publication AI/ML
1 Risk Quant internship at likes of UBS/Deutsche/Nomura. Received PPO didn't take it cuz back office risk /compliance role.
Engineering graduate from Tier 1 Indian Institute with CGPA 8.5/10

What's my best move here?

My take is that your experience is more common than you realize. You are able to secure many interviews in this market so your profile is good enough to get traction.
You can keep applying, interviewing and hope your fortune may turn. It seems like you are not open to continue.
A Master program with a really good career service may get you over this hump in getting the ideal job. The trick is finding this program and getting in.

Back