• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is a degree in Applied and Computational Mathematical Sciences worth it?

I'm currently considering adding a degree in Applied and Computational Math Sciences: Mathematical Economics to my Economics major. Here is a brief description of the major:

In the business and financial world, mathematical and statistical models are becoming increasingly important as tools for prediction and analysis. Students in this Option will obtain a firm foundation in applied and computational mathematics as well as a basic grounding in economic theory. It is also ideal as a second major for students in Economics who want more mathematical training, especially those preparing for graduate school since the academic field of Economics relies heavily on mathematical models.

The program core courses are:

• programming
  • discrete and continuous modeling
  • statistics
  • a bunch of other math (linear algebra, differential equations, math reasoning, etc)

1) Do you think it worth spending the additional time to acquire this ACMS for the purpose of getting a job and/or performing on the job?

2) If I were considering an MSFE in the future, would it be advantageous to have this degree?

3) Would it be better to pursue a math minor in which I'd take most of the math classes anyway, but be able to take probability as well.

Thank You!

eddie

I'd say go for it - unless it means you have to start all over again! No matter what economics function you do, the maths/stats will aide you (I'm an econ myself who has done a lot of maths on the side). You will definately be better prepared for whatever position you might end up in, as you both gain a better understanding of things, a more applied skillset and a better "feel" for analysing problems!

My background has, until now, given me a position at Goldman, alongside with a Masters from Princeton

Back