• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is CMU "harder" than UW-Seattle?

I'm considering part-time, online programs, for the most part.

I've been doing some CFRM coursework through UW-Seattle and have found that the graduate-level coursework is extremely challenging. However, I would not say that the coursework is challenging in a useful way. I would say that the coursework is challenging because the instructors are Research Assistants with very little experience teaching, and some of them are more interested in research than actually teaching. Therefore, the courses are generally frustrating, more than enlightening.

There is one instructor in particular who seems to put in as little effort as possible in delivering courses, yet at the same time, the homework assignments are designed to require students to put in a great deal of effort. This is due to the fact that the mathematics required for the homework assignments are not covered in class, nor are the programming libraries, or even any particular programming environment in general, and there is no textbook or Powerpoint slides. The TA doesn't help things, by giving incorrect guidance during office hours, or cancelling office hours on a whim. Additionally, the exam questions are completely different from anything seen in class or on the homework. For example, the entire quarter might be spent on talking about mathematical models for fully-invested portfolios, yet the exam question for this same material will then be about an arbitrage portfolio. No real-world application is given for any of the material, either. So, the major challenge of these classes seems to be enduring a very frustrating and annoying experience without learning anything that seems applicable to the real world. This is what makes these classes "hard."

So, my belief is that the top-ranking graduates from the program at UW-Seattle are people who already know about stochastic processes, stochastic calculus, SDEs, matrix calculus, etc. before they ever begin the program, as well as people with a very high tolerance for frustration and ambiguity.

Suffice to say, I'm considering other options for online programs.

My question, then, is whether CMU's online program, with a ranking much higher than UW-Seattle's, is necessarily going to be more difficult, or whether it instead ranks higher because the quality of instruction is better.

i would say cmu's program is much more structured but where do you see the online option.

There are classes like that at CMU MSCF as well where the material is assumed or covered very quickly (i.e. you better have had previous coursework, or spend time outside of class reviewing on your own!). However, CMU classes are taught by professors, not TAs.

My question, then, is whether CMU's online program, with a ranking much higher than UW-Seattle's, is necessarily going to be more difficult, or whether it instead ranks higher because the quality of instruction is better.

JHU has an online program in MS Fin Math. While I do not have any experience in MS Fin Math, I do have some experience with JHU's MS Applied Econ online. I like the program because almost all, but one, classes that I've taken so far are taught by PhDs outside of academia. They're current or former economists and researchers at IMF, Treasury, Bureau of Stats, and WB. Half of my program is econometrics, and most of the classes can get challenging and theoretical, but they also try to hit the brake and bring them down to a practical level.

That being said, I'm not sure if my experience apply to their MS Fin Math online program as the program is under the engineering department.

Back