• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Is gap year bad?

Hello guys,
I just got an admission from UCB mfe program. And the 2014 class starts in March 2014.

I have a full time job right know. Since I've been out of school for a while, I need to take some online courses to refresh the quant related knowledge. And I'd like to spend a month travelling. I'm thinking about having 6-8 months gap. Is that very bad for my future career?

No.

Having a 3-5 year gap might be hard to justify, but having a "gap" of less than one year between job and school is perfectly normal. Very few people have seamless resumes.

You might also want to document the online courses that you are taking if they are relevant. That would make the gap even smaller.

Demonstrates teamwork, leadership, also it just shows that you're a nice human being :) .

such as Tanzania. Which choice do you think is more useful? Keeping my current job which I can't learn very much or quiting my job spending some time taking classes in order to better prepare myself for the MFE program, traveling or volunteering?

such as Tanzania. Which choice do you think is more useful? Keeping my current job which I can't learn very much or quiting my job spending some time taking classes in order to better prepare myself for the MFE program, traveling or volunteering?

I mean if you feel that the job is completely useless then I think you should do something else.
Learn a foreign language (Russian or Mandarin would be useful), go off and volunteer in the more stable parts of Africa (South Africa, Botswana), the options are endless.

I think the problem with gap is that though you studied for CFA and people have no probems with that, but sometimes people think u brought n, as we do things not only for money but to also increase the gdp of the nation... if all people takes 1 yer off for cfa the country would runshort of workers / expensive workers...

Back