• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

7.7 Jane Street coming to campus!

Hey guys,

Jane Street is coming to my university this month for some information and networking sessions - the first is a general session and a week later they have an 'Estimathon' which has the description:

"

"What's an Estimathon" you ask?! It's a team contest where the goal is to create confidence intervals to difficult math and science questions. e.g., what's the volume of the earth's oceans (in cubic km); or, how many prime number contain strictly increasing digits. It's a very interactive game, and focuses on some ideas that are central to what we do at Jane Street: thinking about hard problems, assessing confidence levels, trying to strike a balance between quick-and-rough estimates versus more refined solutions. The game is pretty mathematically driven, but we welcome anyone interested in giving it a shot!

"

I'm obviously going to be trying to make a good impression on these guys (seeing as they are coming from out of the country (I assume?)) - what do you think I can do to prepare for these sessions? I've started looking at past Jane Street trader interview questions but I won't be able to 'fully' study these in time. Apparently internship applications for us close April 30.

Thanks for the tips in advance!

The "Estimathon" is their substitute for mock trading. Trading is basically making an estimate, establishing confidence intervals, then converting those things to a 2 way price, and controlling the risk thereof.

Back