• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

7.7 Jane Street interview question

Seen part of this posted in another thread but mine had it a bit more in depth:

1) What would you pay to play a game where you receive what ever number is on a rolled die in dollars (so if you roll a 6, you receive $6)?
2) What if you can re-roll it if you don't like the number? If you can re-roll twice?
3) Write a program that calculates the expected value of this game with n re-rolls and s sides to the die.
4) Can you make the space with respect to n sub-linear?

I'm a bit curious if there is a closed expression for EV(n,s)... couldn't seem to figure it out on the spot.

Here is a program I just wrote for Matlab to do this. I am JUST getting started Matlab, so I'm sure there are many ways to tighten up my code, but here it is.

Code:
clear
rolls = 4; % mutable
sides = 9; % mutable
sideposs = 1:sides;
middle = mean(sideposs);
expe(1) = middle;
for i = 2:rolls
for j = 1:sides
if sideposs(j) > expe(i-1)
flag(j) = 1;
else
flag(j) = 0;
end
end
newroll(i) = mean(flag.*sideposs)*sides/sum(flag);
prob(i) = mean(flag);
expe(i) = expe(i-1)*(1-prob(i))+newroll(i)*prob(i);
end
disp(expe');

Sorry for the thread revival -- I'd like to present what I believe is a slightly cleaner solution:

Let T[n, k] denote the maximum expected return possible if we have n rolls remaining after our next roll and we decide to continue rolling if we see a value <= k. Note that 1 <= k <= s.

The following dynamic program does the trick:

T[n, k] = (1 - k / s) * (k + 1 + s) / 2 + k / s * max_{X = 1, 2, ..., s} T[n - 1, X]

The base cases can be filled in easily from part (2) -- too lazy to write these out, but if somebody asks, I can write these down.

To see why this dynamic program holds, note that there are two possibilities: either the die shows <= k or > k. The latter probability is (1 - k / s). If this is the case, then the expected value of the die is (k + 1 + s) / 2. If the die shows <= k, then we must roll again according to our policy -- so we have n - 1 rolls left. We want to maximize our expected value, so we take the maximum over T[n - 1, 0], T[n - 1, 1], ...

We can perform the calculations with O(s) space. Allocate an array with s variables, which represent the values T[1, 0] through T[1, s - 1]. Fill these in with the base case variables. Compute T[2, 0 through s - 1] via the dynamic program and write over the same array with the s variables. Doing this repeatedly yields T[n, 0 through s - 1]. Taking the maximum over this array yields the solution. The total time taken is O(n*s).

Back