• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

job offer in non-finance

I have two weeks to decide on an offer in a non-financial company that is offering close to six figure in St Louis. I have some interviewed lined up with some small financial companies like Interactive Brokers etc but no offer in hand from finance industry. Is it good to take the offer that I have or is it better to keep on trying in Finance because of the money potential. Work interest for both jobs is similar to me and the only reason I wanted to go to finance is to make more money. Is it still possible for quants(Phd like me) to make a lot of money in finance or those days are gone?

I am caught in this dilemma. So any advice will be appreciated.

Close to 100K in St Louis? Take the money and run.
No, take the money, work there and be happy. That amount goes a lot further in MO than in NYC. You have to make about a zillion dollar in NYC to have the life style you can afford in MO.
There is no guarantee you will get a job in NYC, let alone one that makes zillion dollar.

If you have nothing against working there, try to make the best out of it. Life is short, enjoy.

have you ever heard of "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

Thanks for your responses. I am interviewing with Morgan Stanley also(second round). I guess you pointed out the chance of getting the final job offer is slim and to make zillion dollars is even slimmer. Right?

Back