• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Jobs in London

Will companies and recruiters in London might consider job applicants in US? Onsite interview is both expensive and inconvenient for them, right?

While not impossible I would think it very unlikely because many students around Europe attempt to get jobs in London. That said probably the best way to get a London job (unless you are a super-awesome applicant) is to go to school in the UK (Oxbridge or a London uni) or get transferred there from a US firm.

A friend of mine from Canada who did a Computer Science bachelors at Waterloo applied to Barclays and got hired. He has been working there 2 years now.

But that is only one case I know.

That make sense ......

But, a little funny thing is, some famous quant recruiters referring US students to NYC firms are London-based ........

Are the work visa rules of UK not biased towards EU applicants? Meaning a company can hire someone non EU only if EU workers are not able to fill the quota or something like that.

Are the work visa rules of UK not biased towards EU applicants? Meaning a company can hire someone non EU only if EU workers are not able to fill the quota or something like that.

Yes, EU citizens (except possibly from some of the newer countries in the EU) don't need work or residence permission.

Yes, EU citizens (except possibly from some of the newer countries in the EU) don't need work or residence permission.

Well there are some added conditions for U.K. because they have somewhat of a special position in the EU. In the rest of EU, you are correct, workforce has free movement.

Well there are some added conditions for U.K. because they have somewhat of a special position in the EU. In the rest of EU, you are correct, workforce has free movement.

None that I'm aware of (unless they're very recent). For instance, since 2004 several hundred thousand Poles have settled in England (even the Government doesn't know how many). In contrast, Poles who want to work in Germany seem to have more of a problem.

It is easier than 10 years ago, but isn't the point system still in place?
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk-immigration-tier-system/tier-1/general-highly-skilled-migrants.htm

Not for EU citizens. The only difference (as far as I know) is that Britain isn't part of Schengen so my passport gets checked when I cross the channel to Britain. And Britain hasn't adopted the euro as its national currency. Other than Poles and East Europeans, quite a few French people work in London.

One other option is to get hired by a British bank or international bank with a large London presence and transfer to London. Several of my friends were hired out of US schools to work in New York and transferred to our London office after a year or two.

This is the 21st century. Your first position won't be your LAST position.

Back