• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Lancaster vs Manchester (LUMS vs MBS)

People in the forum, I really need your help..

I have got acceptances from the following universities, namely

Lancaster - Computational Finance
Manchester - MSc Quantitative Finance: Financial Engineering course
Leicester - MSc in Financial Mathematics & Computation
Birkbeck - Msc Financial Engineering &
Monaco - Msc Financial Engineering

I don't care about the Leicester, Birkbeck and Monaco. Right now I have 2 birds in my hand.. lancaster stands at an avg of #7 in the UK this year. Manchester is a very old institution.

If i choose Manchester then i believe it has better placement opportunities than Lancaster - am I right here?

And I believe overall, Manchester is better than Lancaster- Is it true?

Kindly help!! I need to decide soon between the 2.

And I believe overall, Manchester is better than Lancaster- Is it true?

Overall Manchester is better than Lancaster. By the way, what is Birkbeck's job placement service like? Birkbeck's big plus is it's based in London.

I agree with BBW about Manchester vs Lanchester, though Manchester has been in adeath spiral for some years, since the internationally excellent Manchester UMIST merged with the fuckwit arts grads at Manchester Uni.

You may not be entirely wise and I agree that also it would be unwise to flatly dismiss Birkbeck, not saying it it is right for you, but you should give it proper consideration.

I suppose I ought to be embarrassed that I'd not even heard of the Monaco course, but I'm not.

You best choices is bentween Manchester and Birkbeck.

Birkbeck has been invited to be a member of the QIP, Manchester hasn't yet, so it's placements won't be altogether shabby.

@BBW: Thanks for your points. I agree with Birkbeck being a +point being situated in London.
@Domini: I agree, I was not entirely wise wrt Birkbeck. Thank you for your comment, I am reconsidering my options.
Will also add Birkbeck in the pros and cons list.

Thank you

Forget league tables. Look at the methodology for ranking, and you quickly realise how bullshit they are. Lancaster is a dogmeat Uni with zero reputation in the city. Manchester has at least some respect, amongst some circles, but it's still not great. By far the most respected course in that list is Birkbeck, yet you've written that off it seems.

P.S. were these the only schools you could get into, or the only schools you applied to? If the latter, I'd reject them all and reapply to better unis next year.

@Barney: I have applied to the following

Status
---------
R-Rejected
A-Accepted
W-Waiting

Institutions
Warwick - R
Cass -W
UCL -W
Imperial College -W ( I believe, I have a very good chance with the trio. High hopes with Cass and UCL and most probable)
Lancaster -A
London School of Economics - R
Leicester -A
Edinburgh -W
Manchester -A
King's -R
Birkbeck -A
Monaco (IUM) -A
York University - R

Was very surprised with LSE rejecting me, I have a very strong profile. But they would be having their own reason. They stated some mumbo-jumbo reason for the rejection.

Thanks and warm regards,
Hari

You've applied to so many universities (almost all UK universities offering financial maths)!
Why didn't you consider Oxford's MSc MCF?
I think you should go to Imperial, followed by CASS.

@Ekta: Haan, I didn't want to take any chances. Hence took backup plans in the worst case. Regarding Oxford, they want 2 essays, each 2000 words. I took 1.5 months to write a 1500 word PS and polish it. Still writing essay for Oxford.

Hope I will get accepted by the trio.

Regards,
Hari
Thomson Reuters

WHAT?
I didn't write any essay for Oxford. Which essay are you talking about?
I just wrote a 600 words personal statement for all the programs (and that did take a lot of time).

@Ekta: I am talking about Msc in Mathematical and Computational Finance at Oxford. They ask for two 2000 word essays along with an exercise which we have to solve.

And Ekta, you got into Imperial I believe? Could you please share your me your profile? So that I can match the same and see where I lack?

Regards,
Hari
Thomson Reuters

I don't think there is any essay to be written, just the admissions exercise.
And yes, I've got a conditional offer from Imperial (First) and King's (2:1), still waiting for Oxford.
I'm currently studying BSc Mathematics at Warwick university. I didn't give GRE, GMAT, etc.

Back