• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Laptops in 2017

I used to post a yearly list of top laptops, but given the power of even entry-level notebooks these days this wouldn't be very useful. Let's do things differently this time around. What laptops are YOU using, and why? I'll start.

My laptop: Samsung NP900X3L i5
Reason I chose: Super-duper light yet good screen size. Powerful enough to run League of Legends without hiccups.
What bothers me about it so far: Honestly, this is the most happy I have every been with a laptop; and I have owned over 100 laptops. Of course I would like double the ram and dedicated graphics (keeping the weight constant); but a man can dream, can't he...

Your turn!

100 laptops??? tell us more :)
I mentioned this in a thread back in '11 or '12, I don't remember.

I used to buy and sell broken laptops and tablets so I got to see what is really going on inside the machines. I would try to enhance/upgrade them beyond recommended specs, etc. It was loads of fun and I became a bit obsessed with trying out new laptops and an unhealthy habit (and an "intense dislike" for all HP machines) formed...

Cool.

MRoss,
I would like a laptop

1. Linux and Windows 7
2. 12-16 multi-core
3. GPU inside

for parallel heavy duty + interoperable oode.

What's a good choice?

Last edited:
Daniel, Exsan,

If you both tell me what screen size and weight you are looking for I can direct you better. Note there is an inverse relationship between price and weight.

Exsan, regarding Asus: I have owned (if memory serves me right) 3-4 Asus laptops since they started making them look like Apple products. My thoughts in general are as follows:

1. They look amazing
2. While everyone boasts about their weight and size there are lighter and thinner laptops available for less
3. The entry level models tend to be too weak for heavy applications and the price jump to the more expensive models is massive (from $800 to $1800+)
4. Opening up the units , I can tell you that Asus laptops lately have been very stubborn about customization. I would double check whichever model you choose because I know they do not allow for memory upgrade in many of their newer models (memory is soldered in). Even parts that can be upgraded usually were very inconvenient (first unscrew the 16 screws around the battery, remove battery, then behind removing HD)

Just a heads up on this.

Yea dude, it was a phenomenal find/deal. To me Asus offers the hardware of an Alien w/o the extra premium tagged on for the brand name.
Alien stopped being "brand name" to me once Dell bought them. They always used to be so ahead of the tech curve.

Daniel, Exsan,

If you both tell me what screen size and weight you are looking for I can direct you better. Note there is an inverse relationship between price and weight.

Exsan, regarding Asus: I have owned (if memory serves me right) 3-4 Asus laptops since they started making them look like Apple products. My thoughts in general are as follows:

1. They look amazing
2. While everyone boasts about their weight and size there are lighter and thinner laptops available for less
3. The entry level models tend to be too weak for heavy applications and the price jump to the more expensive models is massive (from $800 to $1800+)
4. Opening up the units , I can tell you that Asus laptops lately have been very stubborn about customization. I would double check whichever model you choose because I know they do not allow for memory upgrade in many of their newer models (memory is soldered in). Even parts that can be upgraded usually were very inconvenient (first unscrew the 16 screws around the battery, remove battery, then behind removing HD)

Just a heads up on this.

Ideally, I use an external keyboard with BIG keys and a large screen (an external one is even better). The weight is not an issue.

Does the laptop have ~ 12 cores and a NVIDIA double precision card?

Ideally, I use an external keyboard with BIG keys and a large screen (an external one is even better). The weight is not an issue.

Does the laptop have ~ 12 cores and a NVIDIA double precision card?
I found you a great laptop. It is refurbished so you save $2000. (If you want it to be portable just tape a flat screen monitor to the side).

12 CORE COMPUTER with 24 Hyperthreads | HP Z800 Workstation | 2 x SIX CORE Xeon 3.46GHz |*NEW* 4TB HDD| 500GB SSD | 24GB DDR3 RAM - WIFI - Quad Video Output - DVD-RW - Windows 7 Pro. - Newegg.com

For graphics I would just swap out the existing graphics cards and buy two of these:

PNY Technologies NVIDIA Quadro GP100 VCQGP100-PB B&H Photo Video

You might want to pour some milk inside the machine for liquid cooling too. Iced tea works if the milkman is off and you're in a pinch.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I found you a great laptop. It is refurbished so you save $2000. (If you want it to be portable just tape a flat screen monitor to the side).

12 CORE COMPUTER with 24 Hyperthreads | HP Z800 Workstation | 2 x SIX CORE Xeon 3.46GHz |*NEW* 4TB HDD| 500GB SSD | 24GB DDR3 RAM - WIFI - Quad Video Output - DVD-RW - Windows 7 Pro. - Newegg.com

For graphics I would just swap out the existing graphics cards and buy two of these:

PNY Technologies NVIDIA Quadro GP100 VCQGP100-PB B&H Photo Video

You might want to pour some milk inside the machine for liquid cooling too. Iced tea works if the milkman is off and you're in a pinch.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
this looks like the trader desktop i'm currently using at work

I bought a thinkpad T560 before starting my MFE program and couldn't be happier. Thinkpads are tanks and I love how customizeable they are. I manually upgraded the RAM and hard drive to an SSD with ease without ever having opened a laptop before.

Back