• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Learning C++

I am just curious on whether there is a suggested or recommended method of learning a C++ programming Language in terms of using the command prompt (DOS Window) or the Microsoft Visual C++(I have MS Visual C++ 2005 edition). And is MS Visual C++ Express edition good for learning advanced C++ too or one has to get a Professional grade compiler?

Any recommendatoins?

Thanks,

SekharNy

I am just curious on whether there is a suggested or recommended method of learning a C++ programming Language in terms of using the command prompt (DOS Window) or the Microsoft Visual C++(I have MS Visual C++ 2005 edition). And is MS Visual C++ Express edition good for learning advanced C++ too or one has to get a Professional grade compiler?

I don't think it's the command prompt versus IDE issue that matters. Just make sure you write lots of code, reading books is a start but coding is what will reinforce your learning.

The C++ compiler in VC++ Express 2005 is identical with the C++ compiler in VS2005, any edition. It handles state-of-the-art template code very well, and also detects STL misuse and other programming errors that earlier VC versions let slide. What you get with Visual Studio versus the Express editions is a bunch of other languages and tools, the scope of which depends on the edition.

Hi Sekhar,

Probably by command prompt you meant C++ console application and if you want to choose between windows and console application then I recommend you to start with console application which is more useful to realize financial applications.

I recommend you to buy a couple of nice books; one of them could be Absolute C++ by Walter Savitch
Take a look at this thread:
Required books for Fall 2007 - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

If you start learning C++ from the beginning and want to start right now and make a good progress in several days what you can do is to open video tutorials in one window , VS2005 in another windows and just follow a tutor. It is a good method to learn new programming languages from scratch.

-V-

only one advice code, code... and code some more... I usually call it "butt hours"

Back