• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Lenovo T420

I just received my T420 today... With all respect the machine makes me feel like all laptops I have ever owned look like buying from Toysrus...I bought it from other online outlets and there are quite few bargains around...should check if you want one.
This is my first tp and I love it!

Which specs you have on this new T420, Steven? I was comparing T420s and T420 and I think T420 makes for a better choice.
May you have a long lasting and enjoyable experience with the Thinkpad.

I got the one with i5, 8G RAM, 320G7200, but feel a bit pity that the screen is not 1600x900, it's configured so can't be changed...But overall I am very happy with it, actually feel quite surprise for the quality.

I haven't seen the real T420s but from what I know T420s is slimmer and lighter and with USB 3.0, but pay couple of hundreds more which I would prefer save it for larger RAM. The size and weight of T420 is actually better than I thought, so definitely recommend it

Ah, you should have configured it yourself. I plan to have the HD screen, 2GB ram and smallest HD so i can upgrade them myself with extra ram (cheaper) and a new SSD.
I hope you buy 3 year services plan?

That's great choice, Andy. However I am outside US so there aren't many options.. it took me quite some efforts to search around for bargains already and the machine is priced very competitively in US compared with other countries

Does anybody have the ThinkPad Edge? The reviews seems to be fairly good overall, seems like a good buy for the $.

my sister has one. its not a thinkpad. as long as one goes in knowing that, one wont be disappointed. she didnt expect it to be the same quality as a tp and is quite happy with it. my dad saw it and he is a bigger tp fanboy than i am and dismissed it as a plastic chew toy for the dog.

I just received my T420 today... With all respect the machine makes me feel like all laptops I have ever owned look like buying from Toysrus.

Get the latest Macbook Pro and all the machines you have ever owned (including the T420) will look like buying form Toysrus.

the one that freezes and starts acting like an angry woman when more than 7 programs are open? :p

did they ever fix that bug?

Get the latest Macbook Pro and all the machines you have ever owned (including the T420) will look like buying form Toysrus.
Haha. I don't know about that. It sounds like someone trying to justify his pricey toy ;)
I notice you use an external mouse for your MBP. How would you feel about using solely the touchpad to navigate?

Ah, you should have configured it yourself. I plan to have the HD screen, 2GB ram and smallest HD so i can upgrade them myself with extra ram (cheaper) and a new SSD.
I hope you buy 3 year services plan?

I don't have pleasant things to say about Lenovo's service :confused:

Though they did replace the fan that died after 6 months under the on-site plan, they insist that if I want the loose USB jack and mouse button that gets stuck in the down position (!!) fixed, I will need to send it into their service center (apx. 2 week+ turnaround) because this constitutes "too many repairs in a short period of time"..... But I digress

That said, my little X201 (i5, 4 Gb, dual track-nipple/touchpad) is doing the trick, despite the limited real-estate and measly battery life (<2hrs), it is nice and light and pretty zippy.

... I suppose one pro for the macbook is the ability to chew out their service department in person ;)

strange experience amanda. i have never had my tp gone from me for more than 6 business days which includes shipping both ways. i think i mentioned this earlier somewhere. perhaps not. had my t43 picked up from my house on friday morning by dhl. was shipped to either Kentucky or Tennessee from Florida and it was back to my with a new chassis (dropped the laptop down a flight of stairs) on Monday evening. never seen any other company do that to me and unless lenovo does anything to make me think otherwise i plan on remaining a loyal customer.

Even 6 business days is more than a week (Lenovo quoted me 10 business days) - Not possible during exams when it's your only computer.

Further, on site service != shipping to a service center - Lenovo doesn't seem to grasp this concept :(

I was hoping they could fix all 3 on the same day. Instead I was told to space them out. Truly odd.

I haven't used them after my 3 year warranty expired but I definitely got everything out of the warranty (replaced mobo, LCD, graphic card and numerous other parts).
Can't tell the level of service now. Even after Lenovo bought the Thinkpad line, the customer service is still the same team in Atlanta. At least, that's what the last time I used them (2009).
New version comes with only 1 year so if buying another Thinkpad, I will definitely buy the 3 year onsite/depot thing.

Haha. I don't know about that. It sounds like someone trying to justify his pricey toy ;)
I notice you use an external mouse for your MBP. How would you feel about using solely the touchpad to navigate?

It's the best thing I have ever bought :) (I have not one, but 2 of them).

I'm used to using a trackball. It helps with my tendinitis in the elbow.

It's the best thing I have ever bought :) (I have not one, but 2 of them).
You are paying for the Apple experience.
The cheapest MBP is $1,199 (13", 320GB 5400rpm, 4GB ram).

Compared to a similar spec'd but cheaper machine, will this MBP make you more productive? I keep hearing that MBP is the best but I don't hear why. If all your friends are MBP fans, you will buy in after a while ;)

You are paying for the Apple experience.
The cheapest MBP is $1,199 (13", 320GB 5400rpm, 4GB ram).

Compared to a similar spec'd but cheaper machine, will this MBP make you more productive? I keep hearing that MBP is the best but I don't hear why. If all your friends are MBP fans, you will buy in after a while ;)

I didn't pay for the Apple experience since I bought the top of the line MBP. They are as expensive as top of the line Thinkpads. I'm not talking at the low end but at the high end: 17'' 1900x1200 display, i7 and 8GB of memory. If you check the benchmarks, the MBP is also really really fast. If money is not an issue, and that is a big if, the MBP will be the best bang for the buck.

Back