• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Linear Algebra or Quality Control?

I am an undergrad Junior studying ISyE and I am trying to decide which class to take next semester, Quality Control (Statistical Quality Control) or Linear Algebra. I have already taken two courses on Linear Algebra, but this is a bit more advanced class. I want to pursue a MFE program for my graduate studies. Which class would be more beneficial to me? Is Linear Algebra used extensively enough in MFE for me to take another class? Both classes can be used as an elective for my major. Thanks.

Have you taken any other Statistic classes? Do you know what is covered?

Have you taken any other Statistic classes? Do you know what is covered?

Yes, I have taken one course on probability, and two courses on Statistics.

This is what the website says is covered in the course:

Topics include quality system requirements, designed experiments, process capability analysis, measurement capability, statistical process control, and acceptance sampling plans.

I have to say the quality control is a candidate for the least valuable skill an aspiring banker might acquire. That's not the way it should be, but my job is to tell you the way it is.

There are basically two possibilities:

1) The QA course gets read as part of the background noise that exists on all CVs, courses taken that aren't relevant to that particular job.

2) The nightmare scenario is that they see QA and like it. QA in banks is things like model validation, and that's something to avoid, but QA may identify you as a good candidate for that work.

Linear alg is useful stuff, not sure that one could have 'too much' LA.

... statistical process control, and acceptance sampling plans.

These things are inherently interesting to anyone who's worked in manufacturing (like me). But I don't think they have any application in finance.

I have decided to take the Linear Algebra course. Thanks for your help guys.

Back