• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Lower Level/Intermediate Roles in Financial Engineering

Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer with programming experience in C# and C++, although certainly not at a computer science level. I also have personal trading experience and a strong interest in mathematics and problem solving.

Even though I'm reasonably good at programming for a mechanical engineer, I'm certainly not a software developer, nor do I have a PhD in my field. I recently had a phone interview for a quant role where they asked me 'under the hood' style programming questions that I really didn't understand. All I wanted to do was explain the useful C# console applications that I wrote for my current position but they weren't interested.

Since I have a genuine interest in the field, am good at maths and can program to a reasonable level, is there any 'intermediate' style role in finance that I might be more suited to while I gain experience and develop my skills to maybe eventually become a full quant? Anything that involves some level of statistics or programming? It seems as though any analytical role in finance is just so beyond reach at the moment.

Since I have a genuine interest in the field, am good at maths and can program to a reasonable level, is there any 'intermediate' style role in finance that I might be more suited to while I gain experience and develop my skills to maybe eventually become a full quant? Anything that involves some level of statistics or programming? It seems as though any analytical role in finance is just so beyond reach at the moment.
you won't like them.

Back