• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE LSE fin math vs oxford MCF

hey. i am a final year mathematics undergrad student. i have been offered a place at LSE financial mathematics and the Msc mathematical and computational finance at oxford. i am also on the waiting list for the Columbia MAFN. but am not expecting much from that now.
i have to respond back to oxford soon about my decision.
i am extremely confused about which one to consider right now!! any advice on which course and why? would be reallyy helpful!

thanks so much in advance. :sos:

ya i have compared the curriculum. i prefer the lse curriculum but much of it is similar. and it really doesn't matter to me where i stay during the stay of my MSc.
i was looking more towards which be a better option for me at this stage. does LSE location have an upper hand here? anyone with any info on these courses will be a great help!

LSE has the location advantage of being in London so interviews and assessment centers will be easier to get to, but I would think the Oxford brand would go along way.

On another note I believe both of their programs are relatively new....

Personally I would go to Oxford because of the atmosphere.

i thought the oxford program was quite established, but then again i dont know too much and have no idea where to find out from. the ideal would be to talk to the alum of both the programs but then how!
i also have a offer to work as a derivatives trader, do you think it makes more sense for me to maybe defer admission for a year and work in the meantime.
ive heard its difficult to find jobs after masters if one doesnt have work exp. any views ?

work experience as a derivatives trader would help ?
i can defer LSE most probably, but not oxford. oxford i need to reply back in 2 weeks and tell them my decision. hence the confusion.!

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

also defer for 1 year only. so i get 1 year experience on the job

Hi ishm

I have also got an offer from Oxford and other schools. Regarding Columbia MAFN , I would not recommend one. I worked in NYC and have seen the quality of people going to that program and it was shocking. I do not think Columbia MAFN comes any close to the Oxford program. I personally know quite a few grads from Columbia course who were not able to secure jobs in a good market.

Regarding LSE ( which I applied to and did not get through , I think they prefer people who do not have much work experience and I have over 10 years of IT experience working for investment banks ) and Oxford , it is a tough choice. I think Oxford program is more rigorous and mathematical than LSE. Regarding reputation , both are well reputed , Oxford may be a bit more widely known in US.

Anyway if you want to exchange messages , send me your email . Btw I have accepted the Oxford offer , just waiting for the college allocation.

If you do accept the Oxford offer , look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers

well as it turns out, am still confused about oxford or LSE. i was pretty sure of oxford untill recently when i met a couple of professional in the field that seem to be of the reckon that LSE has a better reputation in finance. so back to square one. i am waiting for my college allocation too in oxford. yes sure lets get in touch.
By the way do you have any idea of the placement scenario of both??

Sorry for interupting, but isn't the LSE program more theoretical compared to the Oxfrod one?

andy, you think i should ask the head of both programs whether their program is better or the other one?? !! lol..

adt, well maybe but what people have been telling me is LSE is more known on the financial sector, my course at oxford is in the mathematical institute not the business school..

Hey ishm,

LSE is very well known in The City, but I doubt that any university other than Cambridge comes close to Oxford regarding reputation in the UK...

Hi ishm

I have also got an offer from Oxford and other schools. Regarding Columbia MAFN , I would not recommend one. I worked in NYC and have seen the quality of people going to that program and it was shocking. I do not think Columbia MAFN comes any close to the Oxford program. I personally know quite a few grads from Columbia course who were not able to secure jobs in a good market.

Cheers

Why wouldn't you recommend MAFN? Could you please elaborate more on the quality of people going there because as far as I heard from the alumni, the majority of people going there are French coming from elite engineering schools like Polytechnique ( the Alliance exchange program) who are brilliant and massively recruited by the program because they have shown extremely good quantative skills. I would really want to hear your experience in NYC...

Hey, I also wish to hear some information about MAFN.

I know some students who just graduated from Oxford MCF, 90% of them found pretty good jobs till now.(like quant or trader positions in world famous banks) So I believe Oxford could be a good choice. (not sure about LSE)

Back