• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE LSE MSc Financial Mathematics or Imperial MSc Finance

Hi everyone,

How would you compare the two programs? I understand LSE Financial Mathematics is purely for quant job and different from MSc Finance. I am an international student. The following factors are important to me :

1. Placements (given the new UK visa rules and no tier 1 post grad work permit). I don't have the liberty to decide based just on my liking - given the recent visa constraints.

2. Functional knowledge - I have no prior finance experience. The MSc Finance course at Imperial is fairly quantitative but does not cover hardcore courses like the Black and Scholes Theory and Stochastic Processes . But I somehow feel it will give me broader knowledge of finance and job options after it will be greater in UK as well as in my home country. I find Fin Math at LSE very mathematically oriented. Do you think MSc Finance is a safer bet? I mean, will it allow me to get a quant role as well besides being a trader..?

Please correct me if my interpretation is wrong. The only reason I am on this forum is to learn and understand these differences. Any recommendations/suggestions/corrections are welcome :)

Be aware that Imperial has two careers departments, one in the business school which is pretty on the ball, and the other which is run by clueless arts graduates. To give you some idea how shit the main Imperial careers office is at placing people, it has forbidden me to advertise to their students, yes really.

Imperial's Business School is getting better and better every year. As for LSE, their MBA and Economics Programs and better perceived than their Financial Mathematics program. If you have no finance knowledge, a master of finance would open a wider range of options as the Financial Mathematics won't help as much improving your financial knowledge.

Be aware that Imperial has two careers departments, one in the business school which is pretty on the ball, and the other which is run by clueless arts graduates. To give you some idea how shit the main Imperial careers office is at placing people, it has forbidden me to advertise to their students, yes really.

Thanks so much for a candid reply. Just so that I understand you correctly, could you elaborate what you mean by "pretty on the ball"? Do you mean they are at the top of it? The MSc Finance program is run by the Business school. What do you think of their placements? Also, could you also comment on the LSE Fin Math program?

I really appreciate frank comments from you. They will be of a great help to me in deciding the right path!

Back