• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE LSE vs NYU

Hi everyone,

I was offered NYU 's financial mathematics as well as LSE's Financial mathematics course.

I am equally torn between the 2 programmes.

How does everyone here feel about both programmes?

Thanks very much!

Hi, i have an offer from LSE financial mathematics too. are you planning on taking it up? any idea what the placement opportunities are like after the program?

Like Andy said location is important. Where do you want to get a job afterward?

Expense may also be an issue for you. NYC and London are probably similar in price but going from USD to Pounds you will lose some.

Look at the curriculum and courses for the two programs and compare to what your interests are. Also consider length of programs, LSE is 10 months and NYU is alittle longer (requires an internship?)

I would strongly recommend NYU. Program is much more established than LSE Financial Mathematics which is 1 year old.

Also LSE has around 10 master level programs which are in some way related to finance - MSc Finance, MSc Finance & Accounting,MSc Accounting, MSc Finance and Economics, MSc Economics, MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, MSc Risk Management etc. You will also have bachelor level students from LSE competing for the same job.

In comparision NYU has 1 program with 20-30 students.

I've done MSc in Finance @ LSE. ...to be honest didn't even know that they now have a program in fin. math.

Assuming you are not sensitive to the location, you should go for NYU as it is a well-established program with bigger names and better connections in the industry.

Another important factor is tuition. Not sure how easy it is to get a student loan in NY, but once you get an offer from LSE you are almost guaranteed to get a student loan (covering tuition + living expenses) from HSBC bank in London, as they have some sort of agreement.

Back