• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MAC or Windows laptop for MFE students?

supposed? haha. he started quizing me on c++ the day i first shook his hand. I knew right away he was a TA haha

Finally received the Lenovo x220t tablet. It is really nice, the IPS screen is awesome and converting it to tablet will be very helpful for class taking/general surfing.

Finally received the Lenovo x220t tablet. It is really nice, the IPS screen is awesome and converting it to tablet will be very helpful for class taking/general surfing.

I just canceled my order for the X220 tablet and went for the x220 instead since it was on sale for 800 bucks with i7 processor and everything.. I couldn't resist and justify the price difference of that much.

I just canceled my order for the X220 tablet and went for the x220 instead since it was on sale for 800 bucks with i7 processor and everything.. I couldn't resist and justify the price difference of that much.
From costcentral?

how long do laptops last? i have a sony vaio nw series laptop 4 gb ram 200 gb harddrive space. shouldn't that suffice or should i worry about the mother board going out on me with the next semester or so? I bought the laptop 2 years ago. its dual core intel

It depends on how you treat them. Mine die every ~2 years or so. My father has had his for like 5. Then again, my laptop lives in my bookbag, my dad's doesn't leave his desk. Mine has all kinds of scratches and dings and discolorations from heavy use on it, his is basically in mint condition... I use mine for hours a day and often tax its hardware in various ways, he checks his email and watches Russian TV on it in the evenings.

I actually gave my last laptop to my parents because its video card was failing and (my guess) every time you moved it a wire or something came loose or something in the video card and it crashed violently. It's been sitting on my parents' dinner table for the past 8 months (and they've been using mostly it) or so and they love it lol. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure...

Of course, if you get stuck with a poor model it can break quite a bit. But if you've had it for two years and haven't had to send it in for repairs/scrap it odds are if you treat it nicely it'll serve you for quite a bit of time more. If you've had to send it in for repairs that's typically a bad sign.

does your config have the IPS screen? if so, that is a great deal.

The link Andrew posted no longer works, I was in the middle of configuring the setup, and it pooped out about 30 minutes ago. (I think they just upped the price, too, bummer.) IPS was available as an upgrade.

Edit: Nevermind, it works, I was just bumped for inactivity...

Yeah, it has an IPS screen for 45 dollars. I really couldn't justify paying so much more for a touch screen when I can instead use the money I saved to buy an Ipad or something of that nature.

sorry for my lack of understanding between mac os and windows. but what is the point of having windows if mac has a 2011 office which supports vba/excel?

sorry for my lack of understanding between mac os and windows. but what is the point of having windows if mac has a 2011 office which supports vba/excel?
There has always been slight differences between Excel on a Mac vs. Windows, and interoperability has always been an annoyance. Mac Office 2008 didn't even have VBA (what was Microsoft thinking?!). The point is on your next job you will probably be using Excel on Windows.

Back