• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Making the switch from Risk to a Revenue generating role

A lot of people have posted on similar topics, but I am hoping to get answers for my particular case. I graduated from one of the top 5 Masters in Financial Engineering programs and have been working at an IB for 2 years and am currently working in Model Validation of particular pricing models. However, I have come to realize that I do not want to just code and do math all day, which is what I currently do with my job. I want to increase my level of interactions with non-technical people because I believe this could be an area of strength for me over other quantitatively inclined people. When I mean non-technical people, I'm thinking of sales teams/clients etc. so I am trying to find a job which would encompass programming and math to some extent but also a good amount of interaction with non-technical people, involve presentations etc. I have been networking with several people inside and outside of the bank and currently think that Quantitative Wealth Management, product structuring and certain Sales teams could be a couple of areas within IB where I could look to move into. My questions are: 1) Are there any other areas like this in IB or the buy-side that you may know of? 2) How best could I look to make the switch from my current Risk role to these more investment management/revenue generating roles as obviously this isn't a simple switch to make? I have applied to quite a few such roles with no success (no interviews). I fear this could be because my first two years of actual work experience have been in the risk domain and now I'm unable to shake it off. Thank you for any suggestions. It is much appreciated.

did you apply through your network connections? If you didn't you should ask them to let you know if/when there are openings. That's how you will get through.

When you are networking, make sure to let them know you are looking for roles outside of risk and in revenue generating businesses. Don't be shy.

Email an MD of the divisions/teams you want to be in, explain your background and current role (and hopefully try to tie your strengths/skills to what their team needs) and ask for a 15-30 minute coffee. Make your email succint, these people don't have time.

Back