• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Margaret Thatcher

A great leader -- Margaret Thatcher -- passed away a few days ago. She did much to make London a financial centre.

A great leader -- Margaret Thatcher -- passed away a few days ago. She did much to make London a financial centre.
50% of the population of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would probably agree with this statement.
Manufacturing died during her term in office.

Not that I am a UK citizen, but she is probably responsible for what UK is today. This has been her legacy.

50% of the population of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would probably agree with this statement.
Manufacturing died during her term in office.
is this a good thing or a bad thing? I really don't know. I have heard opinions from both sides of the fence regarding Thatcher.

is this a good thing or a bad thing? I really don't know. I have heard opinions from both sides of the fence regarding Thatcher.

Bad thing. For sure. That this is even a debate shows how distorted things have become in the last 30 years.

Regarding manufacturing: It's also R&D, design, marketing + contractors as well. All gone.

Bad thing. For sure. That this is even a debate shows how distorted things have become in the last 30 years.

Regarding manufacturing: It's also R&D, design, marketing + contractors as well. All gone.

Yep, large chunks of manufacturing have disappeared and I would think millions of manufacturing and technical services jobs. It is a bad thing. What kept Thatcher alive politically was North Sea oil.

Back