• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Master reading list for Quants, MFE (Financial Engineering) students

Something really confuses me here. Is this reading list for Quant Developer or Quant Researcher? Because the two job profiles are actually different.

Also, how in this world are Derivatives Markets - McDonald and Options, Futures and Other Derivatives - Hull in MFE in pre-reading list? These two books are actually used in the graduate courses of ORFE Princeton.

Last edited:
Some book updates from my own pen

// PDE/FDM 2022
  • eBooks will publish on March 11, 2022.
  • In store date (the date books are available at retail) is March 17, 2022.

// C++11 for finance 2018

Maybe they (and other authors) could be added to an updated QN master list?

Last edited:
QuantNet International Guide to Financial Engineering Programs

FREE QUANT CAREER GUIDES
  • What do quant do ? A guide by Mark Joshi. (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Quant Careers (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Getting a Quant Job (see attachment)
  • Career in Financial Markets 2011- a guide by efinancialcareers. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Analysis. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Structuring. Download
  • Peter Carr's A Practitioner's Guide to Mathematical Finance (see attachment)
  • Max Dama's Guide to Automated Trading (see attachment)
CAREER AS A QUANT
BOOKS FOR QUANT INTERVIEWS
GOOD BOOKS TO READ BEFORE STARTING MFE PROGRAM
GENERAL READING ON WALL STREET
PROGRAMMING
C++ (ordered by level of difficulty)
C# (ordered by level of difficulty)
F# (ordered by level of difficulty)
Matlab (ordered by level of difficulty)
Excel
VBA
Python
FINITE DIFFERENCES
MONTE CARLO
STOCHASTIC CALCULUS
VOLATILITY
INTEREST RATE
FX
STRUCTURED FINANCE
STRUCTURED CREDIT
RISK MANAGEMENT/VAR
SAS/S/S-PLUS
HANDS ON
NOT ENOUGH YET?
This list is getting long in the tooth. i.e. it is outdated.

I have at least six of my modern books for an updated list.
And a section on Machine Learning is needed.

The list was initially made when Fred Flintstone was alive and Tyrannosaurus Rex roamed the earth. It probably needs to be redone from the ground up.
Excel 2007 and VBA.... Barny Rubble.

Last edited:
The list was initially made when Fred Flintstone was alive and Tyrannosaurus Rex roamed the earth. It probably needs to be redone from the ground up.
Indeed, I would also appreciate an updated version or if anyone else has posted on on the forum please feel free to share with me.

Indeed, I would also appreciate an updated version or if anyone else has posted on on the forum please feel free to share with me.
Andy is still using this thread in responses to questions; I don't think it will be redone soon. At least, I think I got here from a recent thread. I only recently delved deep into these forums and I've gone through too many threads to be sure.

*Edit: scrolled back a bit and Andy said it needed to be redone four years before this comment, three before yours, I'm willing to bet it is retired.

What is the best up-to-date book on energy derivatives? I'm not sure if the one in the original list is still my best go-to. The original book is the first to pop up on Amazon (though I'm not sure how much of that is because I viewed it right before searching), so it is possibly still top of the line at 23 years old. I want a second opinion before I go searching for a cheap copy. The best price on amazon is $240, which is annoying. That's almost 1/5 a quantnet course.

QuantNet International Guide to Financial Engineering Programs

FREE QUANT CAREER GUIDES
  • What do quant do ? A guide by Mark Joshi. (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Quant Careers (see attachment)
  • Paul & Dominic's Guide to Getting a Quant Job (see attachment)
  • Career in Financial Markets 2011- a guide by efinancialcareers. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Analysis. Download
  • Interview Preparation Guide by Michael Page: Quantitative Structuring. Download
  • Peter Carr's A Practitioner's Guide to Mathematical Finance (see attachment)
  • Max Dama's Guide to Automated Trading (see attachment)
CAREER AS A QUANT
BOOKS FOR QUANT INTERVIEWS
GOOD BOOKS TO READ BEFORE STARTING MFE PROGRAM
GENERAL READING ON WALL STREET
PROGRAMMING
C++ (ordered by level of difficulty)
C# (ordered by level of difficulty)
F# (ordered by level of difficulty)
Matlab (ordered by level of difficulty)
Excel
VBA
Python
FINITE DIFFERENCES
MONTE CARLO
STOCHASTIC CALCULUS
VOLATILITY
INTEREST RATE
FX
STRUCTURED FINANCE
STRUCTURED CREDIT
RISK MANAGEMENT/VAR
SAS/S/S-PLUS
HANDS ON
NOT ENOUGH YET?
Great collection of resources in an organized way.

Back