• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Math background for MFE ?

Hi,
I'm applying to MFE programs for Fall 2011, and wondering if my mathematics background is good enough. My math stats:

1. Three semesters of Calculus and Linear Algebra, one semester of stats : pretty average grades overall, from IIT in India.
2. GRE quant score of 800, and Math Subject GRE score of 69 percentile - not sure where 69 percentile places me in the pool of MFE applicants
3. Use some Multivariate Analysis and Statistics for work, so pretty conversant in those.

I'm pretty sure my programming and finance background is fairly competitive, but I wonder if I need to improve my Math credentials before thinking of really competitive programs (read Baruch). Should I take the Mathematics for Financial Engineers online course from Berkeley? Any other online certificate that might be better grounding before MFE?

Thanks!

More math will help. To me, that experience is rather sparse. What was your major?

Thanks..my major was CS. You reckon Berkeley's program would be a good addition to my application?

Oh..Andy, sorry if I was vague on that one. I'm not planning to apply to Berkeley MFE - just wondering if the Berkeley "Math Foundation for Financial Engineers" would be useful to bridge the pre requisite gap for applying to a program like Baruch.

If you have CS degree from one of the top 5 IITs (and not SC/ST category), then you will be very successful on Wall Street. Just take admission in the highest ranked school and then make big $.

Oh..Andy, sorry if I was vague on that one. I'm not planning to apply to Berkeley MFE - just wondering if the Berkeley "Math Foundation for Financial Engineers" would be useful to bridge the pre requisite gap for applying to a program like Baruch.

Baruch has a pre-MFE program in place (the calculus section of which I'm told has just started). If you seek admission into Baruch, you should start from their in-house programs, as they will get you more exposure to that particular school.

Should you be admitted to Baruch, they also have their own (mandatory) summer refresher seminars in place which help get students rusty in various disciplines up to speed.

Would Berkeley's program help? Sure, every bit helps. But if you want Baruch, you should come to Baruch.

I have no idea what the Berkeley course offers. Andy's recommendations are a good starting point. I would add some basic work in differential equations and complex analysis just to get comfortable with it. A full blown course isn't completely necessary, but more is better of course.

I believe OP is in India and refers to "online courses". There are very limited options online and they are not rigorous enough. Not sure how the non-degree education system works in India but for people in the US, it's often a better option to go to any community college, four year college and take the equivalent courses.

If you go to website of many MFE programs, you would see that they mention NetMath courses from Illinois. That's because there aren't anything else. And if they are, I would prefer taking it from a local college, wherever you are.

Community college? Are you sure? Once upon an undergraduate summer I took physics at my local community college and was shocked to find that the course was less rigorous and much easier than even a regents physics class I took as a junior in high school (not to mention AP Physics that I took as well...)

Such a course in my opinion offers little to no value to the individual taking it by way of a significant quantity of knowledge.

If you have CS degree from one of the top 5 IITs (and not SC/ST category), then you will be very successful on Wall Street. Just take admission in the highest ranked school and then make big $.

Lol...thank you TraderJoe - let's see how it goes!

Baruch has a pre-MFE program in place (the calculus section of which I'm told has just started). If you seek admission into Baruch, you should start from their in-house programs, as they will get you more exposure to that particular school.

Should you be admitted to Baruch, they also have their own (mandatory) summer refresher seminars in place which help get students rusty in various disciplines up to speed.

Would Berkeley's program help? Sure, every bit helps. But if you want Baruch, you should come to Baruch.

I know - Baruch's pre MFE/refresher programs seem the best fit for this, except I don't think student visa rules allow you to take them (do they?).

Back