• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MATH COURSE ADVICE NEEDED

Hi I’m currently a year 1 (technically year 2 this year) student studying economics and after 1 year of Econs and finance mods, I have come to the realisation that it’s not gonna be mathematically enough for a good quant programme ( ex mfe Princeton, CMU mscf etc). So I would greatly appreciate if you guys could help me decide if taking these math mods would be helpful-

CALC 1,2,3
LINEAR ALGEBRA 1,2
Probability and statics ( already taken 1 semester )

This was the basic requirement for most MFE’s I came across. But I was told that these math mods are not enough and I’d have to take these -

Numerical analysis (hopefully not)
Real analysis (hopefully not)
Ordinary differential equations (should be okay)
Regression analysis (already part of course)

Additionally would you recommend taking CS mods ?

I offer Maths courses for MFE etc.
e.g. ODE/PDE, Numerics

(Students Euro 1500 1st course, Euro 995 each course after first course).

Last edited:
Without intermediate OOP (usually C++ or Python) coursework or a certificate you’re ineligible for all top MFEs.

Make sure your Probability class was calculus based, otherwise it may not be enough. Combined prob/stats classes can be mathematically weak when taught together, especially in an economics program.

ODE and Numerical Analysis will be more helpful ones to take.

I offer Maths courses for MFE etc.
e.g. ODE/PDE, Numerics

(Students Euro 1500 1st course, Euro 995 each course after first course).

Oh that’s great but right now I’ll just stick to my university math courses thanks !

Without intermediate OOP (usually C++ or Python) coursework or a certificate you’re ineligible for all top MFEs.

Make sure your Probability class was calculus based, otherwise it may not be enough. Combined prob/stats classes can be mathematically weak when taught together, especially in an economics program.

ODE and Numerical Analysis will be more helpful ones to take.
Ohh so you recommend taking a OOP class, would it be okay if I take a certification course rather than a uni class cos it might cause a Drop in my GPA.

Oh yea definitely my probs and stats was definitely very calc based (learned multivariable calculus from that mod lol) I’ll maybe take stochastic processes too cos I heard that’s a pretty prob heavy mod

Ohh so you recommend taking a OOP class, would it be okay if I take a certification course rather than a uni class cos it might cause a Drop in my GPA.

Oh yea definitely my probs and stats was definitely very calc based (learned multivariable calculus from that mod lol) I’ll maybe take stochastic processes too cos I heard that’s a pretty prob heavy mod
Probably better to take the C++ from here. Its not perfect but you learn more than you would in a uni class and the online discussions and TAs are much more useful than you would find in most schools.

Fortunately this certificate is also the only one that I know of thats universally recognized by all top MFEs

Back