• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math Courses/Prerequisites for MFE

I am working full time while trying to take math courses. My aim is both to fulfill math prerequisites for an MFE (or other quantitative masters) and also develop my math skills just generally.

I am based in London and planning to enroll at Open University for the courses. Would this be a fine option from MFE admissions perspective and quality of courses? Or is there a preferred other place to take these courses as a full-time worker in London? I have tried to look for places to take math courses in London as a non-degree student but it seems like there aren't too many options (I am aware of Net Math but Open University seems like a preferable option to me in terms of structure and flexibility of studying).

The Open University offers courses that look to cover the basic content for quantitative finance (calculus, linear algebra, statistics, differential equations etc.) The course names are quite general ("Essential Mathematics", "Mathematical Methods") but looking at the syllabuses, I could fill all prerequisites through OU. I would think this is fine as long as I would describe the module contents when applying to programs?

Here is a list of all the available math modules: Maths Modules | Mathematics | The Open University

Last edited:
I am working full time while trying to take math courses. My aim is both to fulfill math prerequisites for an MFE (or other quantitative masters) and also develop my math skills just generally.

I am based in London and planning to enroll at Open University for the courses. Would this be a fine option from MFE admissions perspective and quality of courses? Or is there a preferred other place to take these courses as a full-time worker in London? I have tried to look for places to take math courses in London as a non-degree student but it seems like there aren't too many options (I am aware of Net Math but Open University seems like a preferable option to me in terms of structure and flexibility of studying).

The Open University offers courses that look to cover the basic content for quantitative finance (calculus, linear algebra, statistics, differential equations etc.) The course names are quite general ("Essential Mathematics", "Mathematical Methods") but looking at the syllabuses, I could fill all prerequisites through OU. I would think this is fine as long as I would describe the module contents when applying to programs?

Here is a list of all the available math modules: Maths Modules | Mathematics | The Open University

Hi @Kjde ,

One suggestion for refreshing general math skills. There is a MOOCs platform - where plenty of video lectures on undergraduate university courses from the mathematics/computer science discipline as taught in some top-rung institutes in India, are recorded and released semi-annually. The quality of content ranges from superior to pretty decent.

You should find multiple classroom courses on single-variable and vector calculus, Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Differential equations, Numerical Methods, Algorithms. There are also weekly assignments.

Hyperlink: Swayam

Cheers,
Quasar.

I think the best way is to email your target quant programs and ask whether they accept the courses as prerequisites. By the way, I attended CMU's webinar and they recommended NetMath.

Hi @Kjde ,

One suggestion for refreshing general math skills. There is a MOOCs platform - where plenty of video lectures on undergraduate university courses from the mathematics/computer science discipline as taught in some top-rung institutes in India, are recorded and released semi-annually. The quality of content ranges from superior to pretty decent.

You should find multiple classroom courses on single-variable and vector calculus, Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Differential equations, Numerical Methods, Algorithms. There are also weekly assignments.

Cheers,
Quasar.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will see what they have to offer as a general resource.

I think the best way is to email your target quant programs and ask whether they accept the courses as prerequisites. By the way, I attended CMU's webinar and they recommended NetMath.
That is true, I agree. But at this point in time applications are still quite far away for me (due to needing to fill out prerequisites) so I also wanted to ask this more generally. I know there is a large collection individuals on this site with many experiences on these types of situations.
It's good to know CMU mentioned NetMath. How was your own experience with NetMath? Did you find the courses well arranged and flexible? Any complaints?

I’ve done the first year of BSc Maths at the Open University to prepare for MFE, currently also doing the second one. I do recommend their courses. I think completing every module in the first two stages of that degree adequately prepares you for an MFE.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will see what they have to offer as a general resource.

That is true, I agree. But at this point in time applications are still quite far away for me (due to needing to fill out prerequisites) so I also wanted to ask this more generally. I know there is a large collection individuals on this site with many experiences on these types of situations.
It's good to know CMU mentioned NetMath. How was your own experience with NetMath? Did you find the courses well arranged and flexible? Any complaints?
I have taken 2 courses with NetMath: Abstract Linear Algebra and Probability Theory. I found both courses really flexible. You can study any time at your own pace as long as you finish the course within 4 months. The exam is online and no need to find your own proctor. The only drawback is that for probability theory, there is no videos. You need to study via the interactive platform which is mathematica notebook. Some people may not be comfortable with it.
Overall, my experience with netmath was positive.

I’ve done the first year of BSc Maths at the Open University to prepare for MFE, currently also doing the second one. I do recommend their courses. I think completing every module in the first two stages of that degree adequately prepares you for an MFE.
Thank you for this.

1. How long did it take you to complete the first year and did you study along working full-time? How did you find the difficulty and workload?

2. Did you find some of the content redundant for MFE preparation? Some parts of the modules look to be less useful for an MFE and two of the first year modules (Discovering Mathematics & Introducing Statistics) seem very basic.

3. Do you think something like NetMath would be a more targeted/specific way to complete the pre-requisites given ability to better target the areas of math you want to study? Why did you end up choosing Open University vs other options?

I have taken 2 courses with NetMath: Abstract Linear Algebra and Probability Theory. I found both courses really flexible. You can study any time at your own pace as long as you finish the course within 4 months. The exam is online and no need to find your own proctor. The only drawback is that for probability theory, there is no videos. You need to study via the interactive platform which is mathematica notebook. Some people may not be comfortable with it.
Overall, my experience with netmath was positive.
Thank you, that's very helpful information. And congratulations for getting into NYU!

1. Did you work full-time while completing the NetMath courses? How feasible do you think it is to complete these courses within the timeline while working on a demanding full-time job (60 hours week)?

2. Were the exams a smooth experience? Is it possible to schedule exams for the weekends only? This is my only worry with NetMath as it is practically impossible for me to complete exams during Monday to Friday so I would need the option to complete them during the weekend.

Thank you, that's very helpful information. And congratulations for getting into NYU!

1. Did you work full-time while completing the NetMath courses? How feasible do you think it is to complete these courses within the timeline while working on a demanding full-time job (60 hours week)?

2. Were the exams a smooth experience? Is it possible to schedule exams for the weekends only? This is my only worry with NetMath as it is practically impossible for me to complete exams during Monday to Friday so I would need the option to complete them during the weekend.
Thanks! Regarding your questions,
1. I worked full-time when I did linear algebra. However, my job is not that demanding like yours. I work on average only about 8-10 hours per day so I don't have any problems on completing the course within the deadline. For your case, I think it would be very tiring. By the way, when I did the course, they gave me 1 month extension for free due to covid. I think you will be fine if you get this too. Try confirming this before register.

2. Yes, never face any issues during the exam. NetMath provides 2 options for the exam: online exam(free) and ProctorU. I only used the free one which does not allow weekend exams at all. I think ProctorU may allow one. Not sure. Again, please recheck it.

Thank you for this.

1. How long did it take you to complete the first year and did you study along working full-time? How did you find the difficulty and workload?

2. Did you find some of the content redundant for MFE preparation? Some parts of the modules look to be less useful for an MFE and two of the first year modules (Discovering Mathematics & Introducing Statistics) seem very basic.

3. Do you think something like NetMath would be a more targeted/specific way to complete the pre-requisites given ability to better target the areas of math you want to study? Why did you end up choosing Open University vs other options?
I’ve completed the first year while working full-time in two years. It was a breeze tbh. The second year is considerably harder though. In terms of redundancy a lot depends on your prior maths background. It seems that Netmath indeed gives you more of a targeted way to satisfy the prerequisites, but I’ve chosen the OU because I prefer the British education system.

I’ve completed the first year while working full-time in two years. It was a breeze tbh. The second year is considerably harder though. In terms of redundancy a lot depends on your prior maths background. It seems that Netmath indeed gives you more of a targeted way to satisfy the prerequisites, but I’ve chosen the OU because I prefer the British education system.
Thank you! Impressive and well done. So you were studying two modules at the same time? First studying MU123 and M140 at the same time? And then MST124 and MST125 at the same time?

Thanks! Regarding your questions,
1. I worked full-time when I did linear algebra. However, my job is not that demanding like yours. I work on average only about 8-10 hours per day so I don't have any problems on completing the course within the deadline. For your case, I think it would be very tiring. By the way, when I did the course, they gave me 1 month extension for free due to covid. I think you will be fine if you get this too. Try confirming this before register.

2. Yes, never face any issues during the exam. NetMath provides 2 options for the exam: online exam(free) and ProctorU. I only used the free one which does not allow weekend exams at all. I think ProctorU may allow one. Not sure. Again, please recheck it.
Thanks for your responses, this helps.

Thank you! Impressive and well done. So you were studying two modules at the same time? First studying MU123 and M140 at the same time? And then MST124 and MST125 at the same time?
I skipped M123, its too basic. I've done MST124 and M140 together and then MST125 and an elective.

I skipped M123, its too basic. I've done MST124 and M140 together and then MST125 and an elective.
Thanks, agreed, M123 looks quite basic. How about M140? Had you not taken a basic introduction statistics class before? The content looks quite elementary.

Hi @Kjde ,

Cheers,
Quasar.
I am thinking of doing a couple of math courses for my MS pre-requisites, is NPTEL recognized/ accepted ?

Back