• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math grades, confused and depressed:(

This is my first post at this forum.

I am good at visualization and abstract thinking, but somehow I am not a good exam taker. My recent grades in math courses have mostly been a combination of B+'s,A-'s, an A:
Calculus Pass,B+,Pass (Pass means the course was a pass/fail)
Advanced Calculus A-
Differential Equations A-
Linear Algebra A
Probability B+
signals and systems: B+

In light of my performance in above courses, do you people recommend me applying/going for an MFE program. I have no work experience so I must have a stellar academic record in math courses to get in (which is not the case as shown above).

Note that I have the option to take PDE, Statistics, Stochastic Calculus courses in the upcoming semesters and do really well in them, but will it be worth the effort in light of my math background given above?) This is all very important to me so I will really appreciate honest advice!!

Did u reflect on what mistakes u made in the exams and why?

Make sure u know how to work the problems even though u did not do well in the exams. Learn from your mistakes.

Yea I have definitely learnt from my mistakes, and I know what to do right now! But my point is that is it even worth trying into a MFE program with my non-stellar math grades and no work experience. If the probability is v.low, I should not concentrate on taking more MFE oriented undergrad courses!

Consider preparing for the GRE Subject test (Math) and ace it. This is one way you can make up for your low grades. Also, review the topics in which you got low grades. Some of the top schools interview candidates they are interested in and you may have the opprotunity to prove yourself there.

Consider preparing for the GRE Subject test (Math) and ace it. This is one way you can make up for your low grades. Also, review the topics in which you got low grades. Some of the top schools interview candidates they are interested in and you may have the opprotunity to prove yourself there.

Oh, does that mean I can somewhat compensate for non-superb math grades and nonexistent work experience through a high score on GRE Math subject test and have a good shot at MFE admissions? If that's the case, it's a big news: awesome!

P.S. I have a CGPA of 3.7 (majority A-'s, A's neutralized well by B+'s :))

There are no guarantees of admission, but it will help. Also make sure that you do well on the remaining math courses. That way you can establish a trend of improvement.

Back