• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math major, Math+CS double major, stat minor?

Options: Math major, math + CS double major, math major + stat minor.
If I only do math, I'd have more time to really understand the content. Math + CS double major is more rigorous, risking lower GPA.
How much CS knowledge does a quant trader really need to have? Not planning on pursuing mfe/phd.

Note: I am not a Quant Trader, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Ideally, the best combination would be Math and Computer Science with a stats minor. Math is the baseline skill that ALL Quant Traders will need regardless of specialty. For really any finance role, the analytical skills of a Math Major are invaluable. As a Quant Trader, your entire job will be based around working with computers and integrating your mathematical, statistical, and computer programming skills to trade securities, build financial models, and analyze vast amounts of financial data.

But the ideal is not always possible and that makes sense. If you know that you do want to go into Quant Finance then I would do the double major in Math and CS. The math and programming skills are the baseline for all quant jobs. While stats is EXTREMELY important, it's not as important as the latter 2.

That's at least my understanding of it.

Back