• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math MS vs AM MS dual degree

Hi everyone,

I am a Physics PhD student at UM and I am planning to get a dual MS degree from Math department. I wonder if you can give me some advice here.

There are 2 degrees they offer, General Math and Applied Math. For Applied Math there will be two tracks. One for ODE, numerical analysis and scientific computing, the other for optimization and stochastic processes. Personally I am almost equally interested on these options, with a slightly more interest in the stochastic processes, since it's furthest away from my current research as Physics PhD.

I am interested in going into quant field after graduation from PhD. I wonder which one of these options would help me the most in being a quant?

Thanks in advance!

Why not do both numerical and stochastic analysis. Otherwise 1/2 ready hitting the ground.
Stochastics is starved of good numerical methods. Few articles, books get beyond Euler's method...

Last edited:
I would recommend going for the applied math as pure math wont help you here. Then depending on what you wanna do in the quant field you can specialize between the two sub-categories. I’m not to sure exactly how each one would help, but hopefully someone more experienced then me can shed some light.
some funds like pure math people if they then take the time to learn the quant stuff bottom up

Do optimization and stochastic processes. You're in a Physics PhD program, ODE/numerical analysis should already be your bread and butter.
Yeah and my research project is highly related to ODE stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Why not do both numerical and stochastic analysis. Otherwise 1/2 ready hitting the ground.
Stochastics is starved of good numerical methods. Few articles, books get beyond Euler's method...
It was two track designed by the department, so there is a slight difference in the elective course requirement. But I am sure I have some freedom to choose course from both sides. And it makes sense that learning both would be super helpful. Thanks for the insight!

It was two track designed by the department, so there is a slight difference in the elective course requirement. But I am sure I have some freedom to choose course from both sides. And it makes sense that learning both would be super helpful. Thanks for the insight!
yes, you will not regret it.

Back