• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math PhD-in-training needs advice

Hello all, my name is Ben and I'm currently a 1st year "pure" math graduate student at the University of Maryland looking to get a PhD. For various reasons I've decided not to become an academic and instead go into the private sector. I chose mathematical finance over signal processing because the mathematics seems more interesting. Since I'm "selling out" (in the words of my office-mates) I might as well sell out big and throw myself into the profession. I have a lot of questions, many of which I have partial or full answers to, but I'd like to get as many opinions as possible. I spent a couple hours last night searching around the forum.

Currently I'm taking ODEs and Probability/measure theory. I was advised by a Professor in Mathematical Finance that I should take PDEs as well. I took CS101 (Java) in college and C++ in high school. They came easily to me, but I imagine it will not be sufficient for quant work. So:

1 - What other introductory math classes are recommended for quant work?
2 - Are there standard business school classes that would be highly beneficial?
3 - What is the best way to continue in C++? C++ is the preferred language correct?
4 - Are there any standard text to the introduction of math finance? I have a couple but want to know if I'm missing anything.

I also have a couple questions about the lifestyle of a quant:

5 - What major US cities have a decent number of quant positions? I am married and want to know what all my options are.
6 - What is the average salary? I know this has been asked many times, but I want to make sure I've got the right idea. From what I gather starting pay is ~$100k and goes up somewhat linearly to ~$400 over the course of 5-6 years. Bonuses obviously vary, but can range from 50-100%. Do I have the right idea? If not, what is a conservative estimate?
7 - How many hours/day or hours/week do quants put in? I know the finance world requires a huge number of hours, but what about quants? I'm not adverse to working long hours, just want to know what I'm getting into.
8 - I understand the "lifespan" of a quant is generally not very long, under 10 years. What do ex-quants do?

Finally, is there any advice as to what I should be doing to make myself an attractive candidate other than the obvious quality of my work? Internships and the like? Any general advice?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hello all, my name is Ben and I'm currently a 1st year "pure" math graduate student at the University of Maryland looking to get a PhD.

Have you got through the prelims (Ph.D. qualifying exams)? That's your first priority. Then you can start thinking about numerical methods for PDEs, stochastic calculus, etc.

Hi Ben,
Quite a long list of questions so I give you a few quick pointers and revisit when I have more time.
3 - What is the best way to continue in C++? C++ is the preferred language correct?
Yes. VBA/Excel is for the front office, trader language so you want to be sharp on it.
4 - Are there any standard text to the introduction of math finance? I have a couple but want to know if I'm missing anything.
You want to get important books from Master list of useful Quantitative Finance books - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
5 - What major US cities have a decent number of quant positions? I am married and want to know what all my options are.
NYC and Chicago to a lesser degree.
6 - What is the average salary? I know this has been asked many times, but I want to make sure I've got the right idea. From what I gather starting pay is ~$100k and goes up somewhat linearly to ~$400 over the course of 5-6 years. Bonuses obviously vary, but can range from 50-100%. Do I have the right idea? If not, what is a conservative estimate?
In a good market, roughly yes. In this market, depends on who you talk to, bonus can be 0-15% and in stock shares instead of cold cash. I know lot of people who were hugely disgusted with the bonus this year. Just hope for the best.
7 - How many hours/day or hours/week do quants put in? I know the finance world requires a huge number of hours, but what about quants? I'm not adverse to working long hours, just want to know what I'm getting into.
You don't know until you get there. I can only say from my own experience.
I usually work from when I get in to 8PM except days I have to run to Baruch for classes. That's a good 10-11 hours a day. I can get in at 2PM or 8AM and nobody gives a hoot. I can leave early and nobody cares. It's up to me how much I want to get things done. Even the people on my team have different hours than mine.
I'm sitting on a prop desk, not a flow desk and the guys on the next desk work different hours from ours. They are typically 9-5 guys. The guys on the flow desks more or less come and leave 1 hour before market open/close.
8 - I understand the "lifespan" of a quant is generally not very long, under 10 years. What do ex-quants do?
I'm not sure about that "10 year lifespan" notion but here are few things you can do:
Move around (different firms, desk). Move up (trader/manager). Move out (teaching/consulting). Retire (Take fly fishing classes).

Have you got through the prelims (Ph.D. qualifying exams)? That's your first priority. Then you can start thinking about numerical methods for PDEs, stochastic calculus, etc.

No, I haven't. Don't worry though, I'm suitably worried about them :)

Back