• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Matlab Coder

PTN

Hi Andy,

Have you had any nice experience using matlab coder to convert advanced maths computation into c++?

Mind to share pro and con of using matlab coder?

I don't know any Matlab coder.

I guess previous poster had MATLAB Coder tool on his mind. I used this one sparingly. As with any source-to-source translator, it's hard to get maximum performance out of the generated code, and going for better performance is typically the main reason for considering translation. Still, MATLAB tools (including HDL Coder) are decent in that regard, so it boils down to trying for yourself for given piece of Matlab code, and checking is generated code OK for your purposes.

source: http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab-coder/
Overview of Matlab coder sicne September 2012 release:-

MATLAB Coder generates standalone C and C++ code from MATLAB® code. The generated source code is portable and readable. MATLAB Coder supports a subset of core MATLAB language features, including program control constructs, functions, and matrix operations. It can generate MEX functions that let you accelerate computationally intensive portions of MATLAB code and verify the behavior of the generated code.

I wish someone here in this forum can share the experience using Matlab coder to generate algo into C++.

Thank you.

I guess previous poster had MATLAB coder tool on his mind. I used this one sparingly. As with any source-to-source translator, it's hard to get maximum performance out of the generated code, and going for better performance is typically the main reason for considering translation. Still, MATLAB tools (including HDL Coder) are decent in that regard, so it boils down to trying for yourself for given piece of Matlab code, and checking is generated code OK for your purposes.

Hi Andy,

Have you had any nice experience using matlab coder to convert advanced maths computation into c++?

Mind to share pro and con of using matlab coder?

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=84312

Admittedly, a somewhat tongue-in-cheek writeup written from a "I can get it done in C++ w/ Eigen in under 1 min in a few lines of code producing result competitive with MKL libs called by an ideal, perfectly-vectorized MATLAB equivalent -- and hence I'm not willing to give MATLAB Coder a single second of productivity more" POV, but thought it may suffice as a comment on the "nice experience" aspect ;-)

Back