• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Matlab online course

Dear all,

Can someone recommend an online Matlab course (any accredited institution is fine)? I have sent out my application for the one housed in Columbia University three weeks ago but heard nothing back so far.

Thanks a lot.

I don't know about an online Matlab course but I don't think it's necessary.
I suggest starting by designing small projects and implementing them, if you have questions I can help where I can.

Actually both. But it is much easier to find C++ online courses and I have already found one.

Thanks Amanda. I have gone through the list before. But according to UCB, I need to register for an online course with an accredited institution. And it is really hard to find one.

Thanks Amanda. I have gone through the list before. But according to UCB, I need to register for an online course with an accredited institution. And it is really hard to find one.
Then UCB should provide students with list of accredited institutions that provide Matlab courses. If there is none in existence, how can students take them?
Did you even ask UCB about this? I don't know of any universities that teaches Matlab, let alone offer online Matlab courses.

This is the message I got from my previous communication with them:

We wanted you to take additional coursework so that you could further strengthen your skills in these areas – this was based on feedback from the interviews. Therefore, we ask that you take a course in matlab and one in C++ this fall (any accredited institution is fine, including community colleges).

I will contact them after Labor Day to see if I can take some training of mathworks instead.

This is the message I got from my previous communication with them:

We wanted you to take additional coursework so that you could further strengthen your skills in these areas – this was based on feedback from the interviews. Therefore, we ask that you take a course in matlab and one in C++ this fall (any accredited institution is fine, including community colleges).

I will contact them after Labor Day to see if I can take some training of mathworks instead.

Taking one Matlab course (if you can find it) will probably not make you very proficient at Matlab.. Doing a big project (2K to 5K lines using different modules) will probably be more helpful or go to Project Euler and solve every problem using Matlab.

These suggestions may not be useful as you need a course from an accredited institution.

http://cvn.columbia.edu/review.php?course=COMS W3101-6&sem=A11

COMS W3101-6 Programming Languages: Matlab

View a video preview of this course
Course Description: Introduction to the programming language: MATLAB. Intended only for those who are already fluent in at least one programming language.
Topics include:
Introduction to MATLAB, arrays and array operation
Data types and cell arrays
Structures, strings, logical operators, control flow
Functions, and anonymous functions
Basic data analysis and visualization, 2-D and 3-D graphs, polynomials, optimization, integration and differentiation
Differential equations, images and image manipulations, object oriented programming
Faculty/Manager: Paul Blaer
Contact Information: Paul Blaer
email: pblaer@cs.columbia.edu
Class Homepage: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pblaer/matlab-cvn/
Credits for Course: 1
Viewing Schedule: 1 lecture per week
Notes: This course will run in 3 sessions in the Fall as given below. Students may select the session that best fits their schedule.

Session 1: September 6 -- October 14
Session 2: October 18 -- November 24
Session 3: November 8 -- December 16
* The information contained in this syllabus is subject to change at any time.

Taking one Matlab course (if you can find it) will probably not make you very proficient at Matlab.. Doing a big project (2K to 5K lines using different modules) will probably be more helpful or go to Project Euler and solve every problem using Matlab.

These suggestions may not be useful as you need a course from an accredited institution.

Project Euler have cool stuff, it can be a good place to "draw first blood".

I was responding to ExSan

I would expect that Mathworks would qualify as an "accredited institution" at which to take a Matlab class since they develop and sell the software. They do not define who the institution need be accredited by.

However, per the comments above, I would ask UCB to refer you to one.

It would seem to me that a course in C++ would be a stronger show of programming prowess. Basic Matlab is pretty straight forward to pick up if you are already familiar with a higher level language.

I was responding to ExSan

I would expect that Mathworks would qualify as an "accredited institution" at which to take a Matlab class since they develop and sell the software. They do not define who the institution need be accredited by.

However, per the comments above, I would ask UCB to refer you to one.

It would seem to me that a course in C++ would be a stronger show of programming prowess. Basic Matlab is pretty straight forward to pick up if you are already familiar with a higher level language.

I think that an admissions committee would want to see not merely that a student has taken a course, but would prefer some evaluation of the student's performance, relative to other students in the course (i.e., a grade.)

If you take a course from Mathworks, it is going to be training over a period of several consecutive days. It would include in-class exercises, but it would not include evaluated homeworks/projects/examinations. You may receive a "certificate of completion" at its conclusion, which is little more than a certificate of attendance. I'm sure that the course is excellent, but this does not provide a way for an outsider (e.g., an admissions committee) to evaluate whether you have in fact mastered the material, or merely showed up.

On the other hand, if you take a course from an academic institution and earn a grade/mark/score which documents your proficiency and achievement, that is far more likely to carry weight with an admissions committee which is selecting among many highly qualified candidates.

With regard to the term "accredited institution" as it is applied here in the USA, the US Department of Education does not accredit colleges and universities -- it doesn't have the resources to do so.

Rather, there are multiple organizations which periodically review programs at institutions of higher education and issue certifications that the institution as a whole, or a specific program at that institution, delivers an education which meets a minimum standard.

The US Department of Education maintains a list of approved accrediting organizations, and compiled the listings of the schools which have successfully passed their respective accreditation process.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx

Certain of these groups are regionally based, while others focus on institutions/programs in a specific discipline.

For example, all (respected) colleges and universities located in New York and certain nearby states are accredited by the "Middle States Commission on Higher Education" http://www.msche.org/ .
There are similar organizations which focus on other regions of the country.

Additionally, there are national organizations which accredit programs with a specific focus, for example medical schools, law schools, nursing schools. Plus, there are entities like the Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation, and the American Board of Funeral Service Education, which accredit schools offering education for those specific careers.

In theory, this process should enable the identification of bona-fide colleges and universities vs. "diploma mills."

It also encourages universities to continue to meet the required standards, as re-accreditation takes place according to a specific timetable (e.g., every fifth year). For example, if a currently accredited college were to stop hiring full-time faculty (because they are expensive) and instead primarily hire (poorly-paid) part-time faculty (known in the USA as "adjuncts"), who are hired on semester-long contracts for just those courses for which they are needed, the accrediting body could threaten to refuse to renew the accreditation of such institution.

Online Training on MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow

Dear All,
We provide online training on following courses through web-conferencing facility.
1) Introduction to MATLAB
2) Programming & Plotting in MATLAB
3) MATLAB GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE (GUI)
4) SIMULINK
5) STATEFLOW

If anyone is interested, then please let us know. We will send further details on this.

Regards,
Rajesh S

Email: training@embicore.com

Back