• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE after CA

Hello everyone..
I am currently a B. Com graduate from Mumbai University in India and pursuing Chartered Accountancy course. I wish to go for Masters in Financial Engineering after completing my CA. Is it a correct decision because i have been specializing in accounting and have very little knowledge about Programming and Quant..? However if required, i can work on the same. What will be the career opportunities for me if i go ahead with this decision..??

Hello bigbadwolf...
Thank you for your reply but can u please elaborate a little as to what are the options available for me otherwise..?

Become a CA. The skill set and mind set of a CA is very different from that of a quant. If you had gone to IIT and earnt a master's in math, physics, or even engineering, it would be a different story.

So is it that i am not eligible to do it..?? Or is it that it would be too difficult for me to do..??

So is it that i am not eligible to do it..?? Or is it that it would be too difficult for me to do..??

Your current skillset likely does not match what MFE programs are looking for and the accounting course will not help. Maybe if you list what classes you took in undergrad, we can give you better advice.

To answer the 2nd question: I think it is too 'difficult' in that sense, almost surely.

Discipline A does not transfer to discipline B. There is not enough overlap.

Your current skillset likely does not match what MFE programs are looking for and the accounting course will not help. Maybe if you list what classes you took in undergrad, we can give you better advice.

I had an IT subject in my Bcom wherein i gained the basic knowledge of C Programming, SQL, etc. Scored 96% in Maths in HSC and that was it. The basic subjects had always been economics and accounts and if eligible i am ready to work hard for Financial Engineering because Maths and Technology have always been the subjects i was interested in. However, was forced into CA due to some personal/family issues. But having completed almost whole of CA with just finals left, i dont want to leave it behind totally. I wish to carry the knowledge and degree further into the career of Financial Engg.

I had an IT subject in my Bcom wherein i gained the basic knowledge of C Programming, SQL, etc. Scored 96% in Maths in HSC and that was it. The basic subjects had always been economics and accounts and if eligible i am ready to work hard for Financial Engineering because Maths and Technology have always been the subjects i was interested in. However, was forced into CA due to some personal/family issues. But having completed almost whole of CA with just finals left, i dont want to leave it behind totally. I wish to carry the knowledge and degree further into the career of Financial Engg.

This background is a joke. It's a bridge too far. There have been numerous posts over the years on this forum from posters claiming that while their background is squat they have "always" been interested in math/comp sci/fin engg and by sheer dint of will, perseverance, and hard work, they intend to make the switch. If you truly were committed you wouldn't have this background. The only constructive advice at this stage is pick up the calc, linear algebra, and diff eq books and slowly and carefully acquire a background. Get credentials as well, as that's what the schools will be looking for. My hunch is that after asking this frivolous question you will disappear into the ether like all the previous posters who were so ostensibly full of enthusiasm and determination (but precious little else).

This background is a joke. It's a bridge too far. There have been numerous posts over the years on this forum from posters claiming that while their background is squat they have "always" been interested in math/comp sci/fin engg and by sheer dint of will, perseverance, and hard work, they intend to make the switch. If you truly were committed you wouldn't have this background. The only constructive advice at this stage is pick up the calc, linear algebra, and diff eq books and slowly and carefully acquire a background. Get credentials as well, as that's what the schools will be looking for. My hunch is that after asking this frivolous question you will disappear into the ether like all the previous posters who were so ostensibly full of enthusiasm and determination (but precious little else).

Thank you sir... For your valuable advice... :)

I asked this question before but did not receive an answer. However, I'll just throw it there and you may want to try it. The University of London International Programme offers BSc degree in Math and Econ (Mathematics and Economics (BSc) | University of London International Programmes). I learned about that program when I was looking at several MFE/Mfin resume book and I saw a couple of them had that degree. Keep in mind though, those people were studying at pretty decent schools in non-English speaking countries, and they took that UoL International Programme degree simultaneously. I don't know how much weight that degree carries but I don't think it hurts to try unless you are financially constrained.

Hi sir, your words were a motivating factor throughout the last 7 years and yes it has been a very difficult journey ever since. I failed in my CA multiple times and could complete it only in 2019. However, since then, I worked as an equity analyst for 2 years in a mutual fund - acquired some quant and programming skills which eventually got me promoted to fund manager. Recently, I have received an offer to work as a quant analyst from a reputed investment company wherein I'll be working alongside some IIT and MBA graduates. True by your words, getting into an MFE program was impossible for me as no college was ready to accept my credentials - however, I was able to crack this quant job after a few very grilling interviews. I am still enthusiastic about becoming a quant and I am pursuing CFA as well to build up my career. I agree to the fact that I still have a very long way to go before I can reach a level where I can be truly called a quant - but now, that fantasy has started coming within the sight. Thank you for all your motivating words - it ensured that I do not give up on my dreams.

Become a CA. The skill set and mind set of a CA is very different from that of a quant. If you had gone to IIT and earnt a master's in math, physics, or even engineering, it would be a different story.
Is it possible for CS grad from Mumbai University to get into MFE course ahead and later end up in some Hedge funds or HFT?
Also I have 4 years of experience in trading stocks and 2 years of derivatives

Hi sir, your words were a motivating factor throughout the last 7 years and yes it has been a very difficult journey ever since. I failed in my CA multiple times and could complete it only in 2019. However, since then, I worked as an equity analyst for 2 years in a mutual fund - acquired some quant and programming skills which eventually got me promoted to fund manager. Recently, I have received an offer to work as a quant analyst from a reputed investment company wherein I'll be working alongside some IIT and MBA graduates. True by your words, getting into an MFE program was impossible for me as no college was ready to accept my credentials - however, I was able to crack this quant job after a few very grilling interviews. I am still enthusiastic about becoming a quant and I am pursuing CFA as well to build up my career. I agree to the fact that I still have a very long way to go before I can reach a level where I can be truly called a quant - but now, that fantasy has started coming within the sight. Thank you for all your motivating words - it ensured that I do not give up on my dreams.
Firstly, let me give you a reality check, India doesn't have any true FO quant jobs except the QIS team at Goldman that works directly with the NY team or Quant research not developer at HFT's such as Tower, AlphaGrep, etc..(Quant Developer in India is basically an SDE). Many banks consider this background as the best fit for what they call "Quant roles" --> Computer Science or Mathematics & computing undergrads with a low to 0 Finance knowledge. Imagine not knowing how to price a basic European call option using BSM/Binomial tree, and not knowing how to calculate forward rates from spot curves and calling yourself a quant. These positions are actually Strats not quants. Therefore, be very careful with the roles and JD, and make sure that you are advancing in all the pillars of Quantitative finance (Stats/ML, Math, Programming and Finance).

Secondly, CFA is very good to develop a high-level product knowledge and an intro to Quantitative portfolio management (in Level-2).

Finally, the Indian education system is very rigorous for engineers, unlike for commerce and business fields, because it teaches you real problem solving even before you enter IITs, NITs, etc.. During your BTech, you further develop them by applying those problem solving skills in real life practical applications. I personally cannot believe that a CA can make it as a Quant, but maybe a fake Quant.

However, I think that maybe you ended up as a CA because of the Heard mentality in most Indians, so I can understand your motivation, maybe you really are passionate about this field. Given that you are too determined, maybe you can turn things around. My only advice will be to develop math and programming skills, not just to solve problems, but to build the intuition behind the concepts.

A day will come when you will see a math problem, and instead of starting to write various formulas on paper and get the answer by checking which formula fits, you'll just keep starring at the problem for a while trying to find a couple of different ways to solve it inside your head.

Last edited:
Hello everyone..
I am currently a B. Com graduate from Mumbai University in India and pursuing Chartered Accountancy course. I wish to go for Masters in Financial Engineering after completing my CA. Is it a correct decision because i have been specializing in accounting and have very little knowledge about Programming and Quant..? However if required, i can work on the same. What will be the career opportunities for me if i go ahead with this decision..??
Hii, I just passed out of my high school (I had biology as my subject, PCB). But now I don't want to go for medical programs because I am no more interested in that and wanna switch to finance. but sadly, in India, except few expensive college like ISBF and all, no one offers bachelors in finance. that's why I will be applying for finance undergrad in Italy and if I don't get admit over there, then I am thinking of joining mumbai university for accountancy and finance bachelors and along with it I will apply for ACCA, London. {This year, I got selected in BAF programme in HR college, KC college, but didn't took admission cuz I was not sure}. can you tell me whether this path is suitable for me or not ?? (I will go for CFA or CAT after my bachelors)

[Though, I am quite sure but still I am not confidence enough and above all, once I entered in commerce, I can't return back to science].

Back