• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE/MFin profile evaluation

Hi All,

I am an MFE aspirant from India and was hoping to get an evaluation for my profile for MFE/Mfin programs in US.

-> Education: Integrated Master's program in Engineering (B.Tech + M.Tech) at a top IIT (analogous to top IVY league universities in US); CGPA: 6.7/10 ~ 2.9/4 (US standards)
-> CFA Level III Candidate
-> FRM Level II Candidate
-> GRE: 170(Quant) 160(Verbal)

-> Experience: 1 year 6 months at bulge bracket (GS,MS,JP,BAML) in S&T role at the time of application. Will have above 2 years of exp. at the time of admit in Fall 2020
-> First in the team to receive an excellence award from the COO.
-> Can get 3 strong recommendations to support my application.

I understand that my CGPA can be deal breaker, but would all the achievements post college give me a chance at the top programs?

Like MIT/Princeton/UCB/UCLA/NYU/Columbia/Baruch/CMU/Cornell? Also, I aspire to move to a Hedge Funds/AMs post MFE.

Appreciate any suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
similar situation as you, good work exp, bad gpa (3.1 us scale). Let's see what others have to say.

Also consider that most MFE's end up in banks/ratings agencies/fintech companies, based on recent linkedin trends (at least for NYU). As an international you'll probably need it to enter the gate, but try to distinguish yourself according to things that HFs/AMs want to see (easy to say, hard to do).

That's true about the HFs/AMs and thanks for the inputs. Would be eager to hear from others, who would have had an offsetting impact of good experience over bad GPAs.

Same for me here, I have a GPA of 3.3 but good experience, still waiting someone to evaluate my profile

Back