• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

Dear Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Well, there are 18 students total in my department. [Why do you ask, BTW? Does the number of students in the department matter in the application?]

No, they do not ask that. It's always good to be number 1, no matter how many people you compete again. I'm just curious about the typical student size of such a dept in India. In the US, it's very hard to know the student size, hence there is no such dept ranking.

Also regarding your point "You probably should put a bit more personal touch in your application so people can see more of your individualism", what exactly do you mean?

Well, you will not have a chance to meet and talk to the admission committee. Given the size and quality of applicant pool we receive each year, it's getting harder to differentiate yourself among other 800Q/700V/IITs/publication/etc high caliber students. What are your hobbies, extra-cirricular activities, etc ?

How would you give them something to remember about you ? Put a face to a name :)
The unique feature of Baruch MFE program is this very website where you can interact with the director, the people in Adcom, current students, alumni and other prospective students.

There is no other MFE program in existence which gives you a similar platform where you can utilize to your advantage.

That's what I mean :)

FYI: Quantnet is an independent, student site. It has no affiliation with the Baruch MFE program.

Oh Okay, that's what you mean by individualism.

Well, I know its really hard to differentiate oneself among the crowd these days as the level of competence is increasing day by day, but I believe that I am unique in a certain way. For one, I like philosophy. I do a lot of philosophy about life, universe, evolution and artificial intelligence which can be read at my blogs: The Immortal Blog ( http://www.paraschopra.com/blog/ ) and BioHacking ( http://www.paraschopra.com/blog/biohacking.php )

Second, as you pointed out, I am entrepreneurial. I learned Artificial Intelligence techniques in my high school just of out curiosity. And this curiosity resulted in my own software company which I started at the age of 14. And these days, I am in a process of starting up another venture with my peers. That way, I can be called a serial entrepreneur. :)

By the way, aren't professional achievements, such as I mentioned before, more important than the information on one's hobbies, extra-curricular achievements, etc in the application?

By the way, aren't professional achievements, such as I mentioned before, more important than the information on one's hobbies, extra-curricular achievements, etc in the application?
Of course, professional achievements are extremely important. That's one of many things Baruch looks for. Overachievers are always welcome everywhere but since Baruch is pretty diligent in their admission selection, there are few other factors of equal importance.

Here are what I believe of importance

They value team player, one that can work well within the group setting. They value enthusiatic, energetic and assertive applicants. They value individuals that can take initiative of their own. They value candidates that present the program professionally online and offline, etc

I play absolutely no role in the admission process but that's the trend I see from the applicants Baruch admitted so far. As you mentioned, scores, grades will serve as basic filters as the level of competence increases everyday. That's the reason I mention you need to play to other strengths as well. Your resume will speak for you about your professional accomplishments. Let your personal statement speaks for you about the values I listed.

You have a terrific profile. Since you will only apply for 2008 cohort, I don't see any reason why you should not take some time to get to know this community, learn more about the Baruch culture.

If you are still interested in applying to Baruch when the time comes, I'm pretty sure they will welcome you with open arms. :thumbsup:

In the mean time, we look forward to you being an active member of our community. We love to learn more about your BioHacking projects and the many ventures you are doing with your friends \\:D/

I visited your website and I think you have a lot to offer. And I'd like to know a bit more about you not as a potential applicant, but as a friend ;)

Will this influence my chance at Baruch FE?

Hi,

I am an applicant from China. I submitte my online application on late Dec. However, it was silly of me to deliver my transcript via registered air mail. My first transcript was delivered on Feb which was showed from online tracking system of usps. And I though it was done and just waited for the decision.

Until mid March,I realized that my transcripts were still missing after inquirying about my status through email. After this,I mailed out my second transcript via express mail(ems china on March 23rd). Unfortunately,this mail got stucked at the custom for 5 days. So, when it finally got there, it was already April,3rd. I called up the office yesterday,the lady there said they are on Spring break.

So,can some one please give me some advice if it will affect my chance for admission? As I am an international applicant,I am really anxious about my situation now. Although it claim that they rate students according to the same standard,I guess there is still a limitation of acceptance.

Although it claim that they rate students according to the same standard,I guess there is still a limitation of acceptance.
The only negative effect is that you now have to wait when you should had received decision a long time ago if the paper din't get lost.

As they say on the website, they will evaluate everyone on the same standard. When they give decision, they don't care when you apply, as long as it's complete before the deadline.

And no, there is no limit of seats. If you are good, you are in. If you are not good enough, then it doesn't matter if you are the first to apply.

Check back in a week or so. They should update the status when the dept is back from Spring break (April 10).
Best of luck.

Could anyone give me some ideas? thx

hi, everyone, as i am concerning for the application to MFE programmes in 2008, can you give me any suggestions as what kind of schools i am appropriate for ? is there any chance for me to go to CMU, Columbia, Cornell or Umich as they are my favorite ones? thanks a lot.

here is my profile:

i got a bachelor degree in electrical engineering from a top university in China
and also minored in finance (bachelor degree)
gpa: 3.2 /4.0 with average math scores (i know i know, really low)
rank 23 / 183
gre: v: 600 q:800 a:4.0

toefl: 111 /120

i also took the CFA level II test this june,
besides, i obtained the qualification in stock trading and equity analysis in China.

workexp: worked in financial services department, Accenture Consulting for two years.
what i did was mainly developing a new trading system for Shanghai Stock Exchange including info encryption, system monitoring, architecture design and so on.

pls , any view is appreciated.

hi, everyone, as i am concerning for the application to MFE programmes in 2008, can you give me any suggestions as what kind of schools i am appropriate for ? is there any chance for me to go to CMU, Columbia, Cornell or Umich as they are my favorite ones? thanks a lot.
2008 is a new year and it's getting more competitive so no profile can be marked as sure admit to any of the programs.
Your chance of go to a program depends on your chance of getting admitted there and your ability to pay their tuition.
Do some more research on each program. What do you like about each of them ? What career track you want out of them ? How is their placement stat ? Do they have good support for int' students ?
The info about them is available right here on Quantnet Wiki at www.quantnet.com/wiki
Take a look at Baruch program Baruch - Quantnet Wiki
You may be surprised to find that Baruch admission rate is lower than UCB's for the years that data is available

Evaluate my profile

I am Priyank Jain want to apply for fall 2008
Completed My Engineering from Vasavi College Of Engineering with an aggregate of 76%8
11 & 12 92%
10 86.2%
2 yrs financial work ex in my own Investments & Leasings firm related to finance
GRE 1200(790 quant, 410 Verbal)

Can anyone tell me chances of getting into good fiancial engg course with a good university

We do not evaluate profiles on this website, but can answer specific questions, in particular about the Baruch MFE.

With all due respect to the director, I look at profiles for a living :)

I'd guess you'd get into a program, but there are other variables here.
What sort of engineering did you do ? In particular what maths and to what depth ?

chances of getting in baruch

Gre 1200(790+410)
BE Mech 76%
12th 92%
10th 86%
@ years work ex in [FONT=&quot]Investment and Leasings company in micro finance, housing finance, hire purchase and deposit mobilization[/FONT]
please tell what r my chances of getting in baruch

Most members here are not familiar with your college's grading system. The admission committee is but will not comment about your chance in public.

I can give you some rough estimate numbers so you can have an idea where you stand

The incoming 2007 class, the average GRE is close to 800 Q and somewhere around 550 V.

The 2008 admission will be fierce. Take a look http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/admission-stats/

advice needed

I am a graduating senior studying in chemical engineering from Purdue University. I got a GPA 3.9/4.0. Two years of trading experience+using matlab and mathcad all the time. But I never touched any finance courses and do not know how to state my interests in a professional way?

Is there any chances for me to get into those top MFE programs?
Any good books recommended to give me thoughts of interests?:sos:
Thanks

Super thanks for rapid reply.

GPA3.9/4.0, rank top 1%

I will take GRE on Oct. and get Q800 V500+ should not be a problem.

Top programs to me would be Baruch, Columbia, CMU, Cornell and etc.

I have taken calculus I&II, linear algebra, probabilities, multivariable calculus, computational modeling, economics I&II, engineering economics

Since majoring in Chemical Engineering, heat and mass transfer, fluid dynamics, transport phenomena, thermal dynamics I&II&III and etc

Matlab and Mathcad are major tools for school

Never got a chance studying finance classes but dealing with stocks and options for two years.

Developed a model to calculate the possibilities for futures

BTW, I want to organize my personal statement more professional. Which book of those did you recommend most?

Thanks

Make sure you check websites of all programs you are interested in, pay attention to course selection. There are many programs that you might want to apply to, but they are not all the same.

Back