• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

It's not an extra year of income. It's a 2.5 year program at CMU. At NYU it's a 3 year program, but you start working after two years and take classes part time the third year (mostly, if not all, quant classes). I don't know how I'll be able to work and take all the quant classes part time at the same time. Could get hectic.

Got it - interesting structure for these dual degree programs.

As for your grades concerns, they are well founded. I suggest taking a couple of math classes as a non-degree student at a good school in the Spring, and get A's.

You seem to have quite different background/experience/goal than most applicants I came across so it's hard to give any useful advice.
It's essential that we (and the adcom at the programs) know clearly what you want to do after the degree to continue meaningful conversation.
By your own admission and my experience, you will need to do lot of quantitative/coding when you got into a MFE program such at the one at Baruch I'm doing. What you have done so far is high level language/scripting (matlab, python, sas, sql). I learned those quite easily on my job as well.

The kind of language you will face in the MFE program is C++, the bang-your-head-to-wall-till-it-compiles kind of language. CMU and Baruch use C++ while NYU uses Matlab optionally.
And I didn't even mention stochastic calculus, the kind of math that gives you daily nightmare. You do take 2 of those courses at Baruch and some of other programs.

To be more competitive to most MFE programs, you may want to retake some math courses at grad level.

You are right when applying to 5 MBA programs. My bet is that you will be a much more competitive applicant in MBA programs than in MFE.

Well... it is not hard to get 800 on Quant GRE and many people score 600 or above on Verbal GRE... but GPA = 3.27 is kind of low.
I personally would not admit anyone who had a "D" in math :)

How good is U Chicago compared to NYU/Columbia/Princeton/CMU just curious!

"how good" is very subjective :)
I can say, the difference in terms of "how good" between U Chicago and NYU/Columbia/CMU etc is not statistically significant :)

In terms of quality of the program, reputation in the industry, job prospects. These are my criteria!

In terms of quality of the program, reputation in the industry, job prospects. These are my criteria!
First, answer depends on who you ask.
More importantly, it's up to you to utilize every resource a program has to offer to you. Two different persons will have two different outcomes graduating from the same program depends on how they use the program to their benefit. One relies on the name of the program to bring him jobs. One works extra hard to get the best job possible. Their answer to how good the program is would be different.

I'm using every resource in the Baruch program to my satisfaction and it's irrelevant to me how good Baruch is compared to other programs.

I think quality/reputation/job prospects are almost the same for all mentioned programs. CMU is the oldest program, NYU/Columbia/CMU have well known professors teaching courses (Chicago might have as well).

If these four are the only schools you get accepted to, you might want to think in terms of what your interests are. That way you will get the most from a program you decide to join. Some people look for programs with more C++, some look for more math, some look for more stats, etc.

Plz evaluate my profile ( MS in Fin Engg - Fall'08)

Hi
This is Sanchit from India.Got Q 770, V 430 , AWA expected and TOEFL iBT 108.
I have done BTech (Mech) and then worked for 6 months . Therafter did my MBA and worked in the field of Project financing and Appraisal, Project management for 2.8 yrs. Have GPA of 3.5 in BTech and 3.2 in MBA. Was among top 4 percentile of students in India for MBA admissions. Recieved few scholarships in school and college .Also a national level sportsman.
Due to less Verbal score, have lost chance of applying to carnegie Mellon, NYU etc.
So are above credentials good enough for consideration Baruch.
Please give in your feedback.

Isn't the recent Baruch average Verbal GRE close to the average Verbal GREs from Columbia/NYU/CMU? In that case, you have lost a chance of applying to Baruch as well. Actually, the chance to apply is never lost. Anyway, apply to all schools that you want to get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit
Due to less Verbal score, have lost chance of applying to carnegie Mellon, NYU etc.
So are above credentials good enough for consideration Baruch.

Can you elaborate your reasoning ?

My chance to be admitted into Baruch MFE

I am interested in applying Baruch MFE. Please give me advance if my profile worth a try to apply:

Bechelor: U of Texas, Austin (Computer Engineering) GPA: 3.47
Master: U of California, Irvine (Computer Engineering) GPA: 3.90
GRE: V530, Q790, AWE 4.0

My grades are good in all calculus and algebra classes, however, I only have very little exposure to statistics and probability courses.

3 years of software engineering experience
No financial background

Let me know also if you have any other MFE program that may suitable to me.

Thanks

again, we don't do evaluations... apply and you will know if you are good for the program or not. To find out about another program, hit the Wiki...

The wiki is here https://www.quantnet.com/wiki/
You can have a feeling of who got into the Baruch MFE program by looking at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/student-profiles/

Saying which program fits you best is all but impossible. You probably should hit the forums of those programs and talk to students there and try to see if how you like the vibe.

Lot of Baruch MFE students are members here so it's a good way to get inside info about Baruch. At the same time, you need different/independent voices if you want to know about other programs. For that, visit their student forums.

Baruch MFEs are marketable

We have met with people in the program and they are marketable to Wall Street.

Pls help evaluate

My grades are good in all calculus and algebra classes, however, I only have very little exposure to statistics and probability courses.

No financial background

What the chances of getting in following schools?

Columbia
NYU
Baruch
IIT
GATech
Polytechnic University
USC

do you plan to apply to any of those schools? if you don't, your chances are ZERO. You will need to apply to find out. We honestly don't know if you have a chance or not.

No financial background

What the chances of getting in following schools?

Columbia
NYU
Baruch
IIT
GATech
Polytechnic University
USC
Contact people that head up these programs and ask them. Many times they post what standards are for admission.

Back