• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

I actually tried it, but there is a problem with the software and is not functional.

When you said more programs, did you mean I should apply to colleges with lower requirements. Or from the top of your head, could you randomly name a couple of them. You do not need to be accurate or anything. I am just looking for options.

Also, you can mention some of the improvments that I should consider in my profile (gre verbal is one of them I know)

Bye!

Hi Andy and the rest of you as well,

I am new to this forum and I have applied to a couple of colleges for MFE.

My GRE scores are 790Q, 370V, and 4.0A. I have a great undergrad gpa with a BS in Computer Engineering from a US university. I have A's in my math courses. I am also expecting good recommendations.

I have applied to Kent, Boston, & Baruch. Given your experience, what do you think my chances are.

Bye!
I would recommend retaking the GREs. If you can get your Verbal above 650, you'd be a very competitive candidate- at least by the numbers- for many top ten programs. This is assuming:

-Your GPA puts you at least two standard deviations above average in the Comp. E program.
-The strong recs are from professors, PhDs, or quants who show up with at least a few articles on Google.
-You have an exceptional personal statement.
-You can demonstrate some kind of industry experience (a summer internship would be helpful)

You don't have to have ALL of this together to get in, but assuming you have most of the pieces, I'd be surprised if you didn't at least make it to an interview with at least half the top-ten schools you apply to.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along the same lines.

I am a summa cum laude (top 1% of graduating class) from my university.

But, the biggest problem is going to be the internship/work exp thing. Although, most schools say it is not required, but I feel that it adds lot of weight. That will be something very difficult for me to get being an international student in the US.

Mechanical Engineering :Ecole Polytechnique Montreal
I've also decided to take some finance classes @ HEC Montreal
Undergrad GPA : 3.93/4
GRE : 780Q, 320V, 4/6 A
Math Classes : 2 multivariable calcl , 1 linear algebrea, 1 statistics, 1 numerical analysis, 1 Diff Eq (w/ a portion about PDEs)
Econ classes : none
Fin classes : General Finance @ HEC Montreal
Programming Classes : Matlab , C++
Letters of recommendation : 2 teachers from school (One of them has been nominated for best scientific achievement in Quebec). Other teachers works in the development of Finite Elements Models. Third letter is from my internship supervisor from this summer.
Research exp : I've got one NSERC scholardship (counts as an internship) since the work was done for a company. I've also got a second research project done with one of the teacher that made me a letter or recommendation. No papers published.
Work exp : two internships , one was to model thermal expansion of a radial seal in a turbofan (NSERC scholarship)
other was towards developping automated KPIs. (VBA/C++)
Teaching Aid in a MATLAB computer programming class. (been doing this for a year noew)
Extracurricular : winner of an international contest in sustainable dev.
economic mission in russia
Scholarships : 5 so far.

Could you please rate my chances for Baruch ? What do you guys think of my profile ? As for my GRE score, I know my verbal is very weak, I am native french and i believe that played against me.... My quant score could also be higher.

My chances?

Hi, I'm new here & I'd like some advice to increase my chances in getting admitted into some of the top MFE/finance programs such as Columbia MSFE or NYU. Below is my profile:
Double Major: Math & Econ; top 25 university (in US, stronger in Math relative to other departments)
GPA: will be ~3.7 by the time of my application (my non-major courses are worse & my freshman year was esp. poor) & I can probably bring it up to 3.8 by graduation (but which is sadly months after the decision period...)
Math courses: for major prep: took all calculus classes, intro linear algebra & diff.eqn. Grades are half A's & half B's (but, like I said, my first & beg. of second year were (very) poor).
for major: probability, linear algebra, stochastic, stats, finance math, analysis. Got A's & A+'s incld. an A+ in an honors class except a B in honors analysis (I didn't study)
While most grad math programs weighs heavily on analysis, I don't think it matters as much to Finance program. However, I'd like to know to what extent will this affect my chances and how can I make up for it. I have 2 plans in mind:
1. take (& ace) the regular Analysis class that's next in the sequence
2. take (& ace) the honors Analysis class that's next in the sequence. <- plan 2 certainly looks nicer but the problem is that the next honors class won't be offered until by the time of my application, which means I won't get the grade for this class until 2-3 months after my application has been submitted.
Would it be helpful to take a PDE or ODE (or both) class? since I didn't do well in the intro Diff. Eqn. class & I heard that PDE/ODE is important in finance (is this true (or does this only apply to math PhD's who have the ability to solve all the "impossible" equations?) how important?)
Other classes: I think I have a pretty solid prep for finance since I took many Econ classes, some useful stats, & finance-math classes
Programming: I took an intro C++. I'm wondering if programming skills is an implied prerequisite (since most schools don't list it). If so, should I take more advanced C++ classes (or trade off some of the most advanced C++ with intermediate Java) & Numerical Analysis classes?
Others: I have yet to take the GRE or get any rec letters. I'm confident about getting a 800Q (or 790-ish in case I perform badly). For Verbal, is >650 enough or should I devote more time to it & get a better Verbal (since I don't think Verbal is too important for MFE). I can probably get good rec letters but I don't know if I can get the "best" since it's still a bit early. Also, I don't have much internship/work experience.
Alternative: I can also take a MA Econ program at the expense of substituting all the above-mentioned ODE/PDE, C++, Analysis, Numerical Analysis for Grad. Econ classes (also math-based) & a MA econ degree. I'm still unsure whether I'll be admitted into this program. However, assuming that I will get admitted, would it be better to take this route or just instead take all the other "more relevant" programming/math courses? I guess this question boils down to: should I move on with Grad Econ (the applied side of math) or should I solidify my math/programming skills as well as proving that I have the ability to do very well in math although I didn't do well in some of my prior math classes.
GRE sub: would it help if I take the Math sub test? I'm sure this would help more if I take the grad Econ alternative. However, if I'm taking all the additional math classes instead, would taking a math sub test be worthwhile?

What can I do to increase my chances?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what are some things I can do to increase my chances to get into a good MFE program. Unfortunately, my stats aren't that great so I'd like to get the forum's opinion on what are my options to improve myself.

College: BU
GPA: 3.3/4.0
Major: Dual degree in business administration and mathematics (my major GPA in mathematics is what drags my GPA down)
Test Scores: GMAT 760
Work Exp: Going into investment banking at a NYC middle market bank this summer
Coursework:
Math: Two semesters of PDEs (my favorite course subject), Probability, Stochastic Processes, Time Series Analysis, Complex Variables, Advanced Calculus , Intro to Operations Research, Linear Algebra, ODE
Programming:Intro to Java Programming, Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis

Besides getting a good GRE score, what else can I do?

Bringing up your GPA a few tenths would help some. I would recommend, either through self-study or classes, strengthening your programming skills and finance knowledge. A financial mathematics course would be good too.

Specifically, learn and practice C++, learn some basic finance and read up on derivatives. Master book list has links for all this.

hi... it would be great if you guys here...could evaluate my profile and give me your inputs on ways - I want to improve my profile and get an admit in one of the Top 10 programs

B.E in Mechanical Engineering - average university and average grades
Have taken classes in C/ C++ during my college and have average grades
Took most of the required Maths classes... have average grades in that too...

well basically I was having fun and not working too hard.... and the grades really aren't a true reflection of my ability.... could always solve most of the Maths problems and Progam well at School and College... was just not too concerned about studies.... but after my engineering though... i have put in the required work and have infact done my MBA from one of the Top Colleges in India... n have performed quite well... specially considering the quality of my classmates and relative grading we faced ( most of my classmates could have easily got admitted to the top 20 b-schools in US for sure ).... have a CGPA of 3.39/4 (high distinction)... passed with Magna Cum Laude... Deans List for 2 terms....the grading for out program though is not comparable directly with the ones in US schools... it was quite strict.... with the number of A grades (scores of perfect 4) being restricted in quite many subjects to top 10% of the people in tht course....

Have cleared L1 of CFA and giving L2 this June

can get one or two recos from some very well known faculty in field of accounting and Finance from top US B-schools....

Planning to take GMAT by June / July.... should get a score above 700 +....

Have work ex of 3 yrs ... but again not relevant work -ex for an MFE program

ure comments are most welcome....

Looking for advice for the MFE admissions

Hello everyone, my name is sheng. This is no doubt a great website. I am currently applying the master degree in mathematical finance and financial engineering program at many high ranked programs. So for i only get one phone interview from Baruch, but unfortunately, i was declined. so i am nervous now, extremely. so i wish you guys can give me some opinions about how likely i can get into some of good programs. Please reply me once you check out my key background. Thanks so much

a. I am current studying in the University at Albany(Central SUNY campus).-- last term.
b. Major: Economics and Mathematics with GPA around 3.7, math major GPA 3.9
c. Minor: Business minor 3.9
d. Computer skills: expert in Java, excel. Trying to learn C++ by myself since my school
doesn't offer it.
e. 2 years' oversea study experience in Hong Kong for Economics and Finance'
f. intern in the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Coporation as an Economic
development assistant. take responsibility to develop database system with excel
skills, market research for manager, and website updates.

What are my chances so far?

Hello all,

First off, sorry for this ridiculously long post, but I think it's better if I give as much info as possible.

I've been looking around these forums for a while now, but decided to make a post and see what everyone thinks my chance sare for getting in the schools I want to get. I'm a junior in a 'Tier I' Undergrad University. I'm majoring in Economics/Finance/Operations Research & Minoring in Math, and thinking of going into an MFE (I've always liked Finance the most, but my job *needs* to include math & programming, otherwise I'll get bored). I was initially planning on going into Economics, but that was before I had discovered this niche field, which I think is right up my alley...
Anyway, I have a good GPA (3.96, all A+/A/A-), my majors are 4.0's, and am taking the GRE this summer (I'd be applying for Fall 2011). Here's what I've already taken so far, and what I'm planning to take in terms of relevant coursework:

Intro to Programming (VBA)
C++
Calc I,II,III (III = Multi)
Linear Algebra (2 courses, one of which is abstract&proof based)
Ordinary D.E.
Applied Econometrics
Econometrics (Calc-based & theory)
Applied Prob & Stats (Calc-based)
Deterministic Modeling
Stochastic Modeling
Systems Analysis Methods
Computer Simulation Systems
Corporate Finance
Investments & Securities Management
Portfolio Theory
Derivatives & Speculative Markets Valuation
Financial Modeling (Basically EXCEL + VBA)
Mathematical Economics
A bunch of econ classes (Micro/Macro theory, Monetary Policy, etc)

I don't have any internships at any IB's or anything, but I've been doing research for a year (economics, but research nonetheless), have had a few grants awarded to me, and also gotten a good knowledge of STATA (which I guess is important since many programs look beyond the classes)
Based on what I've read about the programs, I would think that the MFE's of Berkeley & Columbia appear to be a better match for me, since some of the other ones (like Stanford) require much more math than I even have time to take. I'm looking mainly at :

MFE Berkeley
MFE Columbia
MFM Stanford
MFM Chicago
MMF USC

I'm also open to the possibility of other programs, please bring on suggestions! I can study in Europe because I'm a European citizen, so any good programs in Europe are viable options too.

Bottom line: What chances of getting into a top program next year do you think I stand as of now? What would you do to improve those chances?

Thanks *so* much for your time guys :)

You probably wouldn't need CFA given you are a finance major. But UChicago requires GRE subject. You might want to focus on that instead.

Education: M.A. in Mathematics
GRE general -- 1570 (800Q, 770V)
GRE mathematics subject – 810 (approx. 87th percentile)
GPA: 3.03
Previous work: One year as an Actuarial Analyst (passed two exams)
Current work: designing and teaching SAT and ACT courses with a small startup company
Programming: I know the basics of C and occasionally use it for fun to program simple numerical methods

I’m mainly interested in PhD programs in statistics, applied/computational math, and computational finance, although I am also considering MFE programs near financial centers (e.g. Baruch, Poly.) I’m trying to decide what would be the best use of my self-study time for the rest of the year. In particular, how should I prioritize my studies among the following areas:
Derivatives (already read some of McDonald)
Stochastic Process (read some of Durrett)
Time Series (read some of Tsay)
C++ (don't know anything about OOP or why it is useful.)

Many thanks!

You can get in anywhere you would like.

Thank you! I have to ask, though: what is your basis for this level of confidence? PhD programs don't seem to place much weight on the GRE, as I am unfortunately on my way to being non-accepted at all the programs to which I applied this year. Are MFE programs a different animal in this regard?

My chances of getting a good MFE

Hi guys,

I graduated in Computer Science from the topmost engineering college in India. I had a GPA of 2.9/4 and Bs and Cs in Math courses.

After graduating, I have been working for Lehman Brothers / Nomura in IT. I worked 8 months in their Mumbai office doing pure technology and after that in Hong Kong, doing trading desk support. Desk support has given me pretty decent hold on jargon and decent knowledge of products and risk numbers in Credit and Rates space.

Would like to know from the experienced guys here, how good is my profile for getting into a good MFE program ?

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

D

I graduated in Computer Science from the topmost engineering college in India

which is the topmost engineering college in India?

Which college are you from in India? IIT? NIT?

Anyway, your experience should get you in to a good MFE program. That said, if you have a higher GRE Quant score you might have a very good chance of getting admitted to the top 10 programs too.

Back